Should I turn off Windows XP System Restore? March 22nd, 2018, 11:55pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Should I turn off Windows XP System Restore?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Should I turn off Windows XP System Restore?
Posted: July 6th, 2009, 7:33pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I apologize but I could not find this is in the help system.

If I am using Winrescue XP, should I turn off Windows System Restore?  I have been having trouble with System Restore not working when I ask it to, so I am thinking I might as well just turn it off completely.

Could you offer a little information as to whether I should do that?

thanks for your excellent program.
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Posted: July 7th, 2009, 2:44am Report to Moderator
Big Member

When I ran XP, I never had an instance where I got system restore to work.
I tried it three times in different cases before finally giving up on it and turning it off.
I don't say that it will never work, just that it never worked for me.
I found out one fact recently that may explain why system restore has so many problems. It seems that if a system restore file is corrupt, any files made after that one will also be corrupt until it is removed.

As far as Winrescue and system restore, they should be completely independent of each other, meaning turning system restore on or off shouldn't affect the backup program.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Posted: July 9th, 2009, 1:47pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

dlwolff0 is right about WinRescue.  System Restore has no affect on it.  I would keep System Restore on though because WinRescue can restore the registry part of Restore Points.
   Another bad thing about System Restore is that after a reinstall of Windows, the old Restore Points are not shown even though they may exist.  And yet another problem with System Restore is that it does not work outside of Windows, so if Windows crashes, the Restore Points will not help you out (unless you use WinRescue to restore the registry part of them).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Posted: July 13th, 2009, 4:13pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hello -

I have been using Windows XP System Restore points for many years with very few problems.  There was one time where the System Restore point was corrupted and prevented me from restoring back.  All I did was turn off System Restore, reboot the system, turn back on System Restore, and everything has been working perfrect every since.  I make it a habbit to creat a System Restore point each day before doing any maintenance.  I have used the System Restore point to back out any applications that may have caused problems on my system.  If you have the disk space available, I would highly recommend using Windows XP System Restore just as an extra level of safety.  
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread
Forum Rules