File Associations Being Deleted April 26th, 2018, 1:36am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  File Associations Being Deleted

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    File Associations Being Deleted
crs01
Posted: May 25th, 2009, 6:57am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I've got new computer, installed A1Click, set up parameters for cleaning, and figured all would work as before.  However, I've found that whenever I set a program to be opened by a specific application, that file association is not saved.  For example, I don't want to use the trial version of Microsoft Office for .doc, .xls, etc., files - I use OpenOffice.  So I went through and set all those file types to be opened by OpenOffice.  Yet each time I try to open an "Office" type file, it still opens the Windows Office program and I have to go through the aggravation of denying its setup, etc. (deleting the trial version of Office is a WHOLE 'nother problem - it's not in "Add or Delete Programs").

I'm presuming that one of my A1Click settings is deleting those file associations, for lack of any other explanation.  And it's not just Office files - it's true of any other file types, such as graphics files that I want to open with a specific graphics program.  Any ideas?

(Using XP, not Vista if that makes a difference.)
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: May 26th, 2009, 8:41am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I don't see how A1Click could be doing that.
   Maybe you are not getting all of the settings changed.  I would try reinstalling OpenOffice to change the settings.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
crs01
Posted: May 26th, 2009, 10:13am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I was wondering if there is a file type [used by Micro$oft for saving file associations] that I may have selected when I customized the A1Click settings, and it was getting wiped out with the other "junk" A1Click takes care of that I don't want.  I considered the possibility, given how hard Micro$oft makes it to get rid of the "trial" version of Office, that perhaps they'd also built in a sort of hijack of the file associations.  But when I found it also reverted back with other file types not involved with Office, it became obvious that I have another problem besides just getting rid of the Office trial version (it doesn't just uninstall through add/remove programs in the control panel - I just haven't had time to go through all the steps necessary to get rid of it).  Maybe I've actually got a Window$ problem (OH how I don't want to have to go back and reinstall all my programs and settings yet again...   ).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: May 27th, 2009, 11:37am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

A1Click deletes files not registry entries unless you are using the Registry Cleaner part of it.  The Registry Cleaner part is very limited and does not delete any associations.  The file associations are kept in the registry and not in files.
   Whenever I have had the trial version of Office on my computer, it could be uninstalled in Add/Remove Programs.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules