helpdir January 16th, 2018, 3:13pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  helpdir

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    helpdir
mblair5028
Posted: April 6th, 2009, 4:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Lately when my computer starts acting slow, I will run RegVac in the middle of the day.  I've noticed that it will find one or more entries that end with \1.0\helpdir, sometimes the numbers are 5.0 or 6.0.  Once Regvac is finished running, my computer is running as fast as I expect it to.  Can I go in and eliminate whatever it is that is creating these files that are slowing me down?  I'm using XP SP3.  My machine originally came with Windows 98 SE thus I'm formatted as FAT32.  Thanks in advance.
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Snakeyes
Posted: April 7th, 2009, 9:54am Report to Moderator
Big Member

I would check for viruses and spyware.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
mblair5028
Posted: April 8th, 2009, 2:33pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I ran my scans several times.  The only thing that comes up are some tracking cookies and I delete them every time.  Several of the programs specific for spyware seem to had comments from others that they're a bunch of scams.  I'm using the current version of Symantec.  I've read that having multiple anti-virus programs is bad.  So I don't know what to do.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Snakeyes
Posted: April 8th, 2009, 2:43pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

You are right, very few virus programs can coexist on the same PC. Since it is not virus or spyware try the following: --
1)use the search function to find the location of these files and create a shortcut on your desktop of the folder in which they are located.
2) run Regvac to delete these files. After deletion confirm by opening the desktop shortcut.
3) restart your PC and check the folder for these files. If they are now present then they are being created during your startup phase and you should check using Msconfig for the offending programs.
4) if they are not present, run your regular programs checking the folder after each execution. Hopefully this will identify the program that is creating these files.

Best of luck
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Ray
Posted: April 8th, 2009, 7:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It is possible that the program that those entries are for (for example, Word), is the one recreating them.  If that is the case, it would do it when it is run.  It is evidently creating them as bad entries.
They are cleaned because they either do not point to an existent file or they are empty.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules