Wake on LAN Questions January 22nd, 2018, 6:48am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Wake on LAN Questions

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Wake on LAN Questions
iamchappy
Posted: March 4th, 2009, 8:41pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hello everyone!  

New to the board here but was hoping that someone can help me out or if this is even possible...

I am playing around with Wake on LAN.  Everything seems to be working fine but I do have a few questions.  I noticed that if you do a Windows shutdown, the NIC will still stay active.  You can tell by checking out the link lights.  Do a Wake on LAN, and hooray, it turns on!

Now lets say that you push the power button on the machine for about 5 seconds, the machine will of course shutdown.  Now check out the NIC.  You will notice that the link lights are not on.  Try to do a Wake on LAN, and it will not work.  So it looks like pressing the power button will shutdown the NIC card as well. Any way to change this?

I am a Sys Admin in a big call center and one thing that I can't stand is when people shut off the machines.  I would love it to use the Wake on LAN feature and it seems like this would work unless the yahoos push and hold the power button on the machine which I am sure some are doing.

Fooling around with the power options under Windows (XP), you will see a "When the power button is pushed..." option.  I selected "Do Nothing" and of course when I push and hold the power button, the machine still turns off.  Doing more testing, it seems like this option will only work if you push and then let go of the power button.  That will help, but it would be great if there is some way I can keep the NIC active even after a shutdown via power button.  Any ideas?  Thoughts? Comments? Let me know, thank you.

It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Snakeyes
Posted: March 5th, 2009, 7:49pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

The hard way--disconnect the wire from the power button from the mobo on frequently offending computers forcing them to use the soft shutdown, assuming the nic will remain active on a soft shutdown.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules