going into standby January 16th, 2018, 3:03pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  going into standby

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    going into standby
tile4fun
Posted: February 22nd, 2009, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hey everyone,
I have adell dimension 3000 pentium 4 2 gig and the problem I am having is that when I go into the power settings and set it up to shut off the hard drive after an hour.  What happens is the monitor and computer stay on all the time and never go into hibernate or standby.  What I see on the screen is a box that says Windows 101/102 keyboard driver needs updating.  I have tried to update the driver and still get the same message.
Any thoughts?

tile4fun
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: February 23rd, 2009, 12:21pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Shutting off the harddrives and going into hibernate or standby are two different things.  Are you saying that you have it set up to also go into hibernate or standby or that you are putting it in hibernate or standby and then it has that problem?
   I do not set the harddrives to shut down because I have had too many problems with it when they are shutdown and then I do something.  That may be your problem.  I just set my computer to hibernate after 10 minutes of inactivity (that also shuts down the harddrives).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 10
Snakeyes
Posted: February 25th, 2009, 10:32am Report to Moderator
Big Member

Ray is on point, but also check if you have an older version of Adobe Type Manager installed. this software will cause precisely the error you are reporting.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 10
Wychwar
Posted: February 28th, 2009, 11:28am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have had a problem with "Hibernate" on my desktop computer for a month or so. It used to work fine, but then I started to occasionally get a blue screen message and the computer had to be shut down. This problem seems to have been caused by a faulty driver, which has been rectified - i hope!
I cannot enable "Hibernate" within Power Option Properties. I get the following message
Power Policy Manager unable to reserve hibernate file
The process cannot access the file beacause it is being used by another process.
I have tried numerous ways to resolve this, but all have failed.
Anyone any ideas?
Wychwar
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 10
Snakeyes
Posted: February 28th, 2009, 2:29pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

Try this
Shut off Hibernate and the find and delete the hyberfil.sys file in your C directory.
restart and enable hibernate.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 10
Wychwar
Posted: March 6th, 2009, 8:58pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I do not seem to have hyberfil.sys file on either my desktop (hibernate not functioning) or laptop (hibernate functioning) computers.
Regards,
Wychwar
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 10
Snakeyes
Posted: March 6th, 2009, 11:50pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

You might not have your system set to show hidden files and folders. In Explorer click on Tools and then Folder Options
Under "Folder Options" click on the "View" tab and then check  "Show hidden files and folders". You should see the file now
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 10
Wychwar
Posted: March 23rd, 2009, 1:02pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello Snakeyes,
Thanks for your help. I have checked the situation regarding hidden files and they are not hidden. Using the "search" facilty to find hiberfil.sys, results in nothing found. This is also set to search system files and hidden files and folders. Losing the abbility to put the computer into hibernation is a considerable nuisance. Nobody seems to have a solution.
Regards All,
Wychwar  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 10
Snakeyes
Posted: March 23rd, 2009, 1:47pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

There are cases of installed programs such as Alcohol and Adaptec Take 2 that can cause this issue. Use Config.sys to do a clean boot with all Start-ups and non- microsoft services disabled and see if Hybernation works. You can then use Config.sys to identify the offending software/service.
Cheers
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 10
Ray
Posted: March 23rd, 2009, 4:33pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I think Snakeyes means msconfig.exe and not Config.sys.  Go to Start, then to Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotes) in the textbox and click on the OK or Run button.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 10
Snakeyes
Posted: March 23rd, 2009, 6:39pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

thanks ray
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 10 - 10
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating