RegVac - Clean Backups on Vista 64-bit July 18th, 2018, 11:54pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  RegVac - Clean Backups on Vista 64-bit

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    RegVac - Clean Backups on Vista 64-bit
siliconman01
Posted: December 24th, 2008, 3:51am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am running Vista SP1 64-bit Business with RegVac V5.01.22.  I can backup my registry and it places the backup in C:\Windows\System32\RegVac properly.  However, when I select the "Clean up Backup" option, RegVac responds with "No RegVac Registry Backups Found".

The backups are definitely located in C:\Windows\System32\RegVac.  

I have tried RegVac "Run as Administrator", but the problem still exists.  I am running via the Expert Zone in RegVac

Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: December 24th, 2008, 11:50am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I tried RegVac in Vista and did not have a problem.
   When you click on the Clean up Backups button, RegVac looks to see if the C:\Windows\System32\RegVac directory exists.  You get that error because it is not finding that directory.  Maybe you have the security settings for that folder so that it does not appear.  I don't know.  Or there could be some other reason that it cannot see the directory on your computer.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
siliconman01
Posted: December 24th, 2008, 10:46pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

It seems inconsistent with being a Security setting issue.  RegVac creates the folder and also successfully writes backups into the folder.  Thus it should be able to find the folder for cleaning.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
Ray
Posted: December 25th, 2008, 10:22am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I agree.  It should be able to find the folder.  But if you get that error, it is not.  On the computers that I have tested it on, it finds the folder.  It is only on your computer that it is not.  I don't know why that is.
   I have looked at the code of WinRescue and the only thing that WinRescue does is it uses the Windows "Find Directory" procedure to find the C:\Windows\System32\RegVac folder and it is returning false.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
siliconman01
Posted: December 26th, 2008, 9:49pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Well, it works fine on my XP-SP3 machine and on my Vista SP1 32bit machine; however, not on Vista SP1 64bit.  
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
siliconman01
Posted: January 6th, 2009, 1:18am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I am running Vista SP1 64-bit Vista with a registered RegVac V5.01.24.

There is a bug in the Backup component of RegVac.

1.  When the Backup is made, it is stored in C:\Windows\System32\RegVac

2.  When a CleanUp is attempted, RegVac looks for the RegVac folder in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder.  This location error results in no registry backups being found...thus no cleanup.

How did I confirm this?

I copied/pasted the RegVac folder from C:\Windows\System32 into C:\Windows\SysWOW64.  Then the Cleaner component found the backed up registry and cleaned it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
siliconman01
Posted: January 6th, 2009, 10:33pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

This problem has been quickly resolved in V5.0.1.25.

Thanks much
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
Ray
Posted: January 8th, 2009, 11:32am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

When you mentioned the SysWOW64 folder, I realized what the problem was (thanks for figuring that part out).  x64 keeps its drivers in two locations: one for 32 bit and one for 64bit.  That part of RegVac was just looking in one of those locations.  Other parts of RegVac look in both locations, I just had missed that for the Clean button.  Now it is fixed.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules