Speed Startup - never ending story January 20th, 2018, 9:05pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Speed Startup - never ending story

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Speed Startup - never ending story
rawana75
Posted: December 16th, 2008, 10:13pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I've got news. Following the advice coming from snakeyes I deleted 128 fonts and saved them on an extern drive. Checking the remaining about 200 fonts I detected 2 fonts that I believed to have deleted and saved. These were Franklin Gothic Medium Kursiv (True Type) and Franklin Gothic Medium Standard (True Type). These two fonts were saved but still existed in the folder c:\windows\fonts. I deleted them again, but they still remained. So I tried deleting these two fonts using the corresponding section of Speed Startup. Remembering the advice from Ray Geide I shut down the computer and started it again. Surprise, surprise, again I got the lower half of my monitor in plain green. Using the mouse I could put down the separating line down, but my task bar remained lost. So I had some difficulties uninstalling Speed Startup, but I succeded. After uninstalling I shut down the computer again and started it again. There was no green monitor anymore, only my icons on the monitor got a little bit dearranged.
So I can state that either Speed Startup declines to be compatible to my computer or Speed Startup has a bug. Sorry to say that, Ray, but I see no other possibilities.
Now I have reinstalled Speed Startup, but I will never, I repeat never again delete any font using Speed Startup.
rawana 75
Logged Offline
It is HERE
A Revolutionary New Bible Version

Gain a Better Understanding of the Bible

No Bible Training Needed
Just Read and Find out God's Message to You

New Testament - Breakthrough Version
Go to - www.breakthroughversion.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: December 19th, 2008, 2:40am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I have no idea what it could be.  I have never had that problem (I have removed hundreds of fonts using Speed Startup), no one has reported it, and I do not know how Speed Startup could affect that.  It sounds like the top of the bar is just being dragged up.  Speed Startup cannot do that.  But maybe I do not understand what is happening.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 8
rawana75
Posted: December 19th, 2008, 2:54pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. I don't know either what the reason could be. So be it, for I don't have to save the fonts by Speed Startup, the other functions working fine.
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 8
Ray
Posted: December 20th, 2008, 12:09am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

All Speed Startup is doing when you tell it to remove a font is making a copy of the font file, deleting the font file, and then refreshing the font list.
   If something adverse is happening because of that, I would think that Windows is causing it and not Speed Startup.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 8
rawana75
Posted: December 20th, 2008, 12:35pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

You are probably or better surely right. For if I cut these two fonts I can paste them in any folder but at the same time they remain in the fonts folder.
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 8
onemaddude
Posted: December 24th, 2008, 7:15am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

It sounds like to me that those fonts are REQUIRED by Windows and it won't let you delete. Have you ever tried deleting Internet Explorer file by file?? Windows will put them right back.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 5 - 8
rawana75
Posted: December 24th, 2008, 1:05pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi, I have suspected this answer, too, but I took these fonts for being too unsual for the ordinary Windows functions. rawana 75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 8
onemaddude
Posted: December 25th, 2008, 12:55am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

AH SO! But you have forgotten how devious the Microsoft people are.  

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 7 - 8
rawana75
Posted: December 25th, 2008, 9:01am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Yes, you are absolutely right. Thanks for remembering. rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 8
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to: