External drive not available in Safe Mode July 22nd, 2018, 6:48am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  External drive not available in Safe Mode

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    External drive not available in Safe Mode
Anashwaran
Posted: December 13th, 2008, 7:59am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

As I use all Programs from Ray, I had also a backup on WinRescue.
Now I had a failure of my main hard-disk and problems on the Mainboard.
The last time I could boot up I tried to use Winrescue to put back the registry etc...
But I had safely put the folder on an external disk, thinking it was safer. But I had to boot up in Safe Mode, the only available, and in Safe Mode the external disk was not available and no way to acced to the backup!
That was a new lesson!
Fortunately I could use RegVac, which was on my 2nd HD and here the backup was available in Safe Mode.
I had later on to reinstall all again. There was no other way. But this makes me watch out on this point. I had also a WinXP Recovery disk, but here I could'nt make it work the way I intended.
My son uses a LaCie external Raid which gives him total mirror and no problem at a failure.
( http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10963 )  Is that also possible when on uses a second (same) HD internal and put the 2 on RAID?
Is this possible after installation, because it might change the functioning because of the BIOS?
Someone else told me of a virtual HD installation. What does that mean and how does it work?
A lot of questions, but i'm getting tired of sitting here for 2-3 days reinstalling all my programs, passwords, checkups etc... even if one has made backups and programs like Ray's.
Suggestions?
Thanks for any feedback
Anashwaran    
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: December 15th, 2008, 10:03am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

My suggestion as to where to put backups is to put the registry backups on the Windows drive and other backups on a different drive than they are on (it does not have to be an external drive or discs).
   I do not know much about RAID.  Others on this forum do, so I will let them comment about RAID.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Snakeyes
Posted: December 22nd, 2008, 6:23am Report to Moderator
Big Member

An internal Raid 1 setup would help against a failure of one of the two drives but not against a mainboard failure. It would also have a performance hit. You would be far better off with a single external drive coupled with a good disk imaging software. I am not sure that it is appropriate for me to list other than Superwin software on Ray's site.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: December 22nd, 2008, 11:27am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Concerning Snakeyes comment about whether it would be appropriate to mention other software on this site - since we do not sell disk imaging software, it is OK to mention other software.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules