Speed Startup July 22nd, 2018, 6:45am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Speed Startup

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Speed Startup
rawana75
Posted: November 30th, 2008, 10:02am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Last week I installed the new version of Speed Startup. Executing this version I got some surprising results:
1. If during rebuild startup you cancel your internet connection, the rebuild process freezes and you have to cancel the execution using the task manager. Is the internet connection necessary for rebuilding?
2. When checking the Startup Services you will find some services checked that have been formerly pointed out as manually started. So you have to uncheck these again.
3. The most surprising feature is Unused Fonts. In Word 2003 I got some 193 fonts. There are some more in Excel 2003. I declared about 90 as fonts that I don't use. So I tried to delete them. Deleting a lot of these got me not problems. But more than 50 fonts I could not delete. Some of these I could uncheck, but they remained nevertheless. Others showed no check window, but simply remained existing. So I restarted my computer and tried again. Some of the not deleted fonts suddenly were deleted and didn't show again. Others could now be deleted, but not all. So I restarted again and again until there was a rest of 8 fonts. And I then got the hammer. After the restart the lower half of the monitor showed green. So I had the upper half as normal with some icons placed anywhere else and the lower half als clean green. Using the mouse I was able to put the separating line down, but I didn't get back the task line. Having created a restore point before installing Speed Startup I took this restore point to remove these errors. I installed Speed Startup again and avoided now to delete any font. But I have no explanation for this failure if not this one:
Before installing Speed Startup I changed the registry. I put the ClearPageFileAtShutDown - Parameter in HLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
vom zero to 1, another method to speed up the computer start.
P.S. I hope I have made myself clear. My mother language is German and I lately haven't had much practice in using English.
P.S. #2 If you try to update the database from http://www.sysinfo.org, don't cancel the internet connection during formatting the new file. You will have to start again.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Snakeyes
Posted: December 1st, 2008, 5:37am Report to Moderator
Big Member

I would always advise against deleting any fonts since you never know if some software that you are using might need them. Create a new folder on you C drive and move fonts to that folder and only delete after an extended period of time if there are no issues.
Clearing the pagefile at shutdown might improve security under certain circumstance but will SLOW down your restart.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
rawana75
Posted: December 1st, 2008, 6:49am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Snakeyes, reading the help file of Speed Startup I have had the same assumption about deleting fonts. But I trusted Ray Geide and assumed him not proposing this without good reason. Your advice is much welcome and I will go on in accordance with it.
Already realized I have your second proposal regarding the registry. I am always cautious and mostly put such registry changes back after testing it. Thanks very much!
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Ray
Posted: December 3rd, 2008, 4:39am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Speed Startup backs up any fonts that it removes.
   What you experienced concerning removing fonts is normal (minus the lower half of the monitor being green which was not caused by Speed Startup).  The Fonts section of Speed Startup says, "Fonts deleted may not be removed from the above list until Windows is restarted".  It also says, "Only delete Fonts that you never use and never will use."  It also says that the removed font will be "put in a Speed Startup backup file" and "you may restore it from the Backup section and then install it in Windows."
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
rawana75
Posted: December 3rd, 2008, 4:22pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Ray, this is all ok, but one question is left: How do I know whether some programs being installed on my computer will use one of the deleted fonts? And one note additionally: the green monitor showed not after restarting but after closing down the computer and starting again. So what should I have done? Closing down a second time?
Regards rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
Ray
Posted: December 4th, 2008, 4:39pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You should only remove fonts that are installed by other programs and that you will never use.  If the font was installed by a program (not Windows), only that program will require that font to be there.  Any other programs will either use the Windows fonts or install their own fonts.  If a program uses a font that does not exist on your computer, your computer will substitute it with a different font.
   I have no idea what the green monitor thing was, so I cannot advise on that.  Not knowing anything else, my guess is that you accidently dragged the top of the taskbar up on the screen and that is what caused the bottom half of the screen to be green.  That would have nothing to do with Speed Startup or with restarting the computer.  The solution is simply to drag the top of the taskbar back down to where it belongs.  Then again, I could be wrong about that being what happened.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
rawana75
Posted: December 5th, 2008, 4:52am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Ray, thanks very much for the final answer. No further questions for Speed Startup. rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules