My harddisk drives and CD drives keep disappearing June 24th, 2018, 10:23pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  My harddisk drives and CD drives keep disappearing

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    My harddisk drives and CD drives keep disappearing
plonkeroo
Posted: November 3rd, 2008, 12:54pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hiya, Everyone!

My harddisc drives and CD drives keep disappearing!

It all started when I bought a brand new computer a couple of months ago. I tried to re-install my tried and trusted Win98SE but found that my new machine couldn't do it. (Apparently the machine was "too powerful" to support Win98SE.) So, very reluctantly, I was forced to install WinXP.

The WinXP instalation went smoothly but within a week it had crashed because of "hal.dll" and I was completely locked out. I was unable to re-install it using the install disk so I thought I would wipe the disk completely and start from scratch. However, I found, with help from DOS, that both hard disks and both CD drives were no longer recognised. Furthermore, as a result of using fdisk and formatter (100% partition), that my main disk had been changed from NTFS to Fat32.

To cut a long story shorter, I got this sorted out by a call-out engineer who used his own install disk. However, last week my CD drives disappeared again. Luckily I was able to get them back again using a backup.

The crux of my question is this: Why do CD drives or hard disk drives disappear? What causes it? And how can it be reversed if no backup works?
Logged Offline
Site e-mail Windows Live Messenger
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Snakeyes
Posted: November 5th, 2008, 5:47am Report to Moderator
Big Member

Disappearing CD/DVD drives is not uncommon.

Using Regedit after backing up your registry:-

Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Class \ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Then reboot

Alternatively

Try out the fix down loaded from this site,

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
plonkeroo
Posted: November 5th, 2008, 10:13am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hiya, Everyone!

Thanks, but I have numerous instances of control sets in regedit and then numerous subkeys in each instance and I am unable to find the filter keys to which you refer.
Logged Offline
Site e-mail Windows Live Messenger Reply: 2 - 4
Snakeyes
Posted: November 5th, 2008, 7:40pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

While there may be many ControlSets there is only one CurrentControlSet and only one subkey with the exact number listed at the end of the registry line.
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Check  for 4D36E965
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Zedy
Posted: November 7th, 2008, 5:24am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Your staement "I found, with help from DOS, that both hard disks and both CD drives were no longer recognised. Furthermore, as a result of using fdisk and formatter (100% partition), that my main disk had been changed from NTFS to Fat32." makes no sense.

If the hard disks are not recognised then no program can access them at all.

If this PC is BRAND NEW then contact the manufacturer.

Hardware is covered under warranty and this PC requires extensive diagnostics to discover the problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules