MISSING TASKBAR ICONS July 16th, 2018, 8:41am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  MISSING TASKBAR ICONS

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    MISSING TASKBAR ICONS
nabbers
Posted: November 3rd, 2008, 5:10am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Icons keep disappearing from my task bar?  How can I find them and place them back on the task bar?
e.g. Safely Remove Hardware, Controls for the logicam, and the sound?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Snakeyes
Posted: November 3rd, 2008, 5:42am Report to Moderator
Big Member

You can try the following tool to solve your issue

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

or you could edit your registry. If the tool does not work or you would prefer to edit your registry, post and I will lay out the steps.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
Ray
Posted: November 3rd, 2008, 11:47am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I just put an article about that in our newsletter this week.  Here are two suggestions given in that article:

• Ray - Try going to Run and typing regedit
        In RegEdit find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad key.  The SysTray value must be in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad key of the registry.  If it is not there, try adding a string value to ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad (right click on it and select New then String Value) with a value name of SysTray and value data of {35CEC8A3-2BE6-11D2-8773-92E220524153}

• quinland - An even less elegant method is to Start|Run|systray.exe.  This problem had occurred to me, and I created a desktop icon pointing to the systray program.  I then put systray into the startup lineup, and it has been working ever since.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
nabbers
Posted: November 4th, 2008, 2:31am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I did see this article and found that I did have the registry value you mentioned.
Additionally I did try the second method you listed in this reply.  I clicked on Start, then Run, then typed systray.exe in the box and pressed the return key.
Nothing happened?
I even went to the file in Windows / system 32 and clicked on systray.exe.  What is supposed to happen?  There seemed to be nothing?  I don't understand?
Also, if I ever do manage to get systray.exe to work [whatever it does] how do I put systray into the startup lineup?
Please help.
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
Ray
Posted: November 4th, 2008, 9:01pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

SYSTRAY.EXE - System Tray Services. Provides the Volume Control, PC Card Status, Power Management and other icons that reside in the System Tray.
   It probably is not doing anything because it is already running.  The registry entry that I gave in my tip is what starts systray.exe (and so it is in the startup lineup).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
Snakeyes
Posted: November 5th, 2008, 5:21am Report to Moderator
Big Member

Try this:-
Backup Registry.
In Regedit select:-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
In the Right Pane delete:-
IconStreams and PastIconStream
Close Regedit

In Task Manager Process Tab highlight explorer.exe and end the process.
Choose the Application tab in Task Manager and click New Task and enter explorer.exe in the text box and hit Enter.

Cheers and best of luck.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
nabbers
Posted: November 9th, 2008, 6:44pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I did find a solution at http://winhlp.com/node/16
The simple solution, in my case was to log off and then log back on again.... lo and behold all my icons re-appeared!
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules