Replacing G operating system with XP April 26th, 2018, 1:30am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Replacing G operating system with XP

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Replacing G operating system with XP
AMLOVINTHESUN
Posted: November 1st, 2008, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I just purchased a G Notebook that is running on the G OS.  I have read that this notebook runs more efficient with XP on it.  I purchased XP and tried to replace the OS.  It does not automatically start anything on the disk.  Please, someone help me and tell me how to do this.  Once I do the switch will I have a problem getting back online?  Will I have to get drivers for everything on this thing- like the wireless card?  I have some items that are not compatible with this system, but are with XP.  I prefer XP an I prefer faster.  Can anyone help?

I need this notebook for my upcoming trip.  I need internet and wireless at that.  No disks came with this thing to fix it if i mess it up either.

Thanks-
Heather
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: November 3rd, 2008, 11:40am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

What is automatically run on a CD when you insert it is the file specified in the autorun.inf file.  On most CDs the file specified is autorun.exe, but I think with the WinXP CD the file is setup.exe.
   So if the CD does not run automatically, you can find the CD drive in Windows Explorer and double click on the autorun.inf and see what file it lists.  Then find that file and run it.

Windows XP should find all of the components of your computer and install them.  It should not need any drivers unless the component did not exist when that version of Windows XP was written.  In this case, you may have to install the component with the installation CD that came with it (if you do not have a CD, maybe the company that made the component will have an installation file on their website).  But I doubt you will have a problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
AMLOVINTHESUN
Posted: November 5th, 2008, 9:33pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I tried that stuff.  It wouldnt recognize anything from the xp cd.  I am pretty sure I have to format the HD and install from there, but dont know how.
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Snakeyes
Posted: November 6th, 2008, 3:13pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

You might have to change bios settings or even the Bios version.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Zedy
Posted: November 7th, 2008, 5:17am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Firstly you shouldn't consider anything like doing this until you have created a set of recovery discs using software already installed on this device.

PCs of any type that do not come with any discs always have software installed to allow creation of these recovery discs.

Check your Manual for information about performing this step.

Check the manufacturers website for information on this.

Also check the programs installed for a program that will do this.

After you have done this THEN and ONLY then can you consider replacing the OS with XP.

FAILING TO DO THIS WILL RENDER IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RESTORE IT BACK TO ORIGINAL STATE.

You will need to get into the BIOS and set the device to BOOT first from CD.

Then you can perform an XP install.

Check the Manufacturers website and see if they list any XP drivers for the device.

Failing that look for specifications on the manufacturers website and see if the various devices are listed, eg, chip set, video, sound, wireless etc.
Google these chipsets for XP drivers.

If none are available then none are and you will have a next-to-useless G Notebook without them.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules