Deinstallation Cyberlink PowerDVD October 20th, 2018, 10:08pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Deinstallation Cyberlink PowerDVD

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Deinstallation Cyberlink PowerDVD
rawana75
Posted: October 27th, 2008, 5:28pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

In 2004 I bought my Dell-Computer with Windows XP Home.  Checking the preinstalled software I found the software "Cyberlink PowerDVD". Up to now I have never used it. But now - checking the whole computer for security - I got the message this software being at risk. Therefore I tried to deinstall this software. But I failed. Checking adding/remove programs there is no software Cyberlink PowerDVD shown. So I am looking for another possibility. Any ideas?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Zedy
Posted: October 28th, 2008, 3:26pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Cyberlink usually has an uninstall in its listing in your program manager.

I find it hard to believe any software would claim this is as 'at risk' software anyway.

In any case check the Cyberlink website if you are concerned.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
rawana75
Posted: October 29th, 2008, 6:09am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

To Zedy,

I have checked every single file on disk, there is no uninstall file. The classification as at risk (given by F-Secure) depends on the installed version of PowerDVD, it is 3.0. This version is no longer updated. The actual version is 8.0. And I don't see why I should buy the actual version not using this program for the future, too.

Now I didn't find any possibility of uninstall on the websites of Cyberlink. So I asked for a solution per e-mail.

Anyway, thanks for your answer!

Rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Snakeyes
Posted: October 29th, 2008, 4:36pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

You can do a manual uninstall but it would require some registry editing.

Delete PowerDVD/Cyberlink folders if present in the following locations:-

C:\Program Files
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Application Data
C:\Documents and Settings\"your name"\Local Settings\Application Data
Assuming C is your boot drive

At the command prompt type "regedit" and delete PowerDVD/Cyberlink folders in:-
HKEY_CU/Software
HKEY_LM/SOFTWARE

Use the Find (Ctrl+F) to search for PowerDVD and Cyberlink and carefully delete appropriate folders.
PLEASE BACK-UP Registry before messing with it.
A good registry cleaner should do most of this work if you run it after deleting the folder located in Program Files.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
rawana75
Posted: October 31st, 2008, 5:31pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi Snakeyes,
I'm sure your proposed solution would have resolved the problem. But in the meantime I found a quicker solution. I checked my numerous CD and found a CD with the program PowerDVD provided some years ago by Dell. So I installed PowerDVD a second time. After having done this I was able to simply deinstall the program. Nevertheless thank you very much for your help.
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
onemaddude
Posted: November 29th, 2008, 8:44pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

You could also go to C:\Program Files in Windows Expoler and just delete it. Then use RegVac and A1 Click Ultra PC Cleaner to get rid of the left over "Crumbs".
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 5 - 6
rawana75
Posted: November 30th, 2008, 7:11am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

To onemadudde,

I'm not so sure about this method. For several years I used Norton Internet Security. Wanting to change the system I tried to deinstall this system. After deinstalling there have been left a lot of files and registry entries. So I tried regvac. But this program failed. When I contacted Symantec I got a special deinstallation routine. But this routine failed too. So I had to live with these remaining entries in the registry (the files I deleted manually) for some time until Symantec provided a new deinstallation routine. Then I could successfully delete the remaining entries in the registry. This is only one example. The same problems I have had with WinTV from Hauppauge.
Nevertheless thanks
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules