Virtual Memory October 21st, 2018, 12:35am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Virtual Memory

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Virtual Memory
garydonpowell
Posted: October 27th, 2008, 5:19pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have an older Dell Laptop that came with Windows 2000, 800 mhz, 256 meg Ram, 40 gig HD.  I installed Windows XP and had it upgraded to 512 meg Ram, and I set the Virtual Memory to 1024 meg min. and max. (from a How To Article).  Are these settings OK or should I reset them, or scratch the Idea altogether, and leave it at the 512 meg only?  For best performance?

Gary P.
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: October 28th, 2008, 11:26am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

That is fine.  You can even go higher if you want as long as you have free space on the harddrive.
   RAM and Virtual Memory is used to store all of the information about what is open on your computer (for example, where the windows are located, what is in the windows, the code of the programs running, etc.).  Your RAM will always be used first to remember this information and then less important information is kept in virtual memory.  RAM is faster in getting to the information.
   Virtual memory is like a fake RAM where the information is written to free space on your harddrive and then when needed is read from off the harddrive.  Virtual memory adds to the RAM and gives better performance.
   I wrote a series of articles in our newsletter, Ray's Computer Tips, about the different parts of the computer.  One of those parts is the RAM.  That article explains RAM and virtual memory - http://superwin.com/RaysComputerTips/Issue4.htm#computer.  You can subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips using the Subscribe section on the left side of the newsletter - http://superwin.com/RaysComputerTips/
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules