Boot Disk for NTFS July 16th, 2018, 8:15am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Boot Disk for NTFS

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Boot Disk for NTFS
ron
Posted: October 12th, 2008, 1:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Hi
I have this registry backup program called, ERUNT.
I put the backup on another internal hard drive.
My question is this: Suppose I could not boot windows XP - How can I get to this drive? I made a boot disk as I thought I would have to do. I don't have hardly any experience with DOS. But I still come up with a problem.

It boots to the floppy A: I can change to C: ok, but I always end up in the HP Recovery partition and I can't get out of it, how do I get to what I think is called the Root Directory in C:? Or how can I get to the other internal hard drive where I put the backup. If I want to I can put a backup on the C: drive, but I can't change partitions - stuck in that HP Recovery partition. Maybe this other internal drive is not recognized cause I get an error message if I type in D:. I recognizes the CD-Rom drives though.

Anyone have any suggestions? What is it I'm doing wrong? Or what I left out of the process. Well, I thought, perhaps, I would be something I should know how to do. Maybe I'm wasting my time about something there is no need to. If the drive is good, I thought the registration backup would be nice way to start problem solving.

Your suggesions will be greatly appreciated
RS

A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: October 13th, 2008, 11:01am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

NTFS partitions are not accessible from DOS.  My guess is that all of your drives are NTFS except for the Recovery partition.  That is why you can only get the Recovery partition.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
ron
Posted: October 14th, 2008, 1:18pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray
Thanks for that reply.
I understand.
If use Start-Run, I can change to root directory and change to other internal drives.
Is there a way I can get NTFS and acess all drives? if so, how can I do this? I am aware of Bootdisk.com. I hardly understand what I read. Any suggestions?

I tried to format A: /s  ...and was unsucessesful...I think I must type in command.com first. I thought maybe just the system files would be enough, but I know so very little, so I try things out and see what happens.
with appreciation...
ron

e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: October 15th, 2008, 11:34am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

You cannot access NTFS drives from DOS.  The NTFS drives will not even show up in DOS.  The only way around that is to get an NTFS compatible DOS.  There are some free ones out there but I could never get them to work.  NTFS4DOS is one that is free that I could not get to work.
   One of the problems with putting an NTFS compatible OS on diskette is that it does not fit on a diskette.
   You could make a boot CD with PEBuilder if you have the proper files in Windows XP.  We have a program called XP Recovery CD Maker which helps you through the PEBuilder process and which also allows you to restore WinRescue backups and XP Restore Points.  It is at http://xp-recovery-cd.com.
   format A: /s copies the DOS files from C: to A: and causes the drive to boot into the DOS files.  format A: /s does not work because your C drive is NTFS and does not have the DOS files on it.  Using format A: /s will not make the disk in A compatible with NTFS.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules