WinRescue XP. New user. Some basic questions. June 25th, 2018, 8:10am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  WinRescue XP. New user. Some basic questions.

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    WinRescue XP. New user. Some basic questions.
crisoco2287
Posted: September 23rd, 2008, 1:52pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Have just downloaded WinRescue XP and have a few very basic questions.

1. I am currently using Internet explorer 7 which is not my default browser. After registration I was unable to use Firefox 3 to login and post to the forum. Is this normal? I was also unable to get the password email sent.

2. On some of the screens in WinRescue there is text that I am unable to read properly. One of strings I think starts with Copyright ......
The other is under Boot Disc and I am only able to read the word HOT .....
There is probably some other wording that I have not come across yet.

I have not encountered this problem before. Is this my graphics card that is producing this problem or something else?

3. I cannot get the Frequently Asked Questions Section to work.

In Firefox 3, Internet Explorer and Opera I get the following message ....
Not Found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/faq/faq-manager.cgi was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is this section permanently down or is it a temporary problem?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: September 24th, 2008, 10:51am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I wish that you had made a post for each one of your questions.
Here are the answers to your questions.

1.  I assume you are not talking about WinRescue on this question.  I do not know how FireFox handles this forum.  I would assume that it works fine.  When the forum sends you the password email, it is sent to you.  Your email provider or spam filter may be blocking the email.

2.  This could be due to you not having a standard DPI setting or having Large Fonts turned on in Windows.  Or it could be due to you not having standard fonts installed in Windows.

3.  How are you trying to access the FAQ?  If from WinRescue, please get the latest version (I would think that you have the latest version, v.1.08.43).  I changed the URL of the FAQ section because we were getting hundreds of spam posts on it a day.  The new URL changes the faq folder in the URL to faq2.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 24th, 2008, 2:11pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray. Thank you for your reply.

1. Firefox handles most things but not logging in to the forum and FAQ.
I have just tried having my password re-sent from Internet Explorer but that email has not arrived either. Well at least not just yet. Most emails arrive quite promptly and the email never appeared that I had sent yesterday via Firefox.
I tried again today replying to your post on Firefox but again it would not accept my login details even with my ad blocker turned off and allowing pop ups (not that there are any).
I am again having to post in Internet Explorer which is a pain when I am set up in Firefox.
Any email that Yahoo! marks as spam is sent to the bulk folder which is then marked accordingly. Nothing has arrived marked spam from either IE7 or Firefox.

2. My font settings are 'normal' and the screen resolution is set to 1280 x 1024 pixels and the highest (32 bit) colour quality. I do not think it can be anything to do with standard fonts not being installed as I have over 400 fonts on my system. I suppose it is possible for the font you are using not to be on my computer but it would substitute it for something similar and not display it the way it has. Again, I have not experienced this before.

This is a screen capture from WinRescue XP to illustrate the problem.

3. I am trying to access FAQ from your web site. The FAQ from within the program help screens are perfectly alright.
I have the latest program version 1.08.43
Ah! I now understand. If I look at properties for the FAQ on your web site and copy /paste the URL link in the browser address and then change faq to faq2, send and Frequently Asked Questions magically appears. Easy when you know how!
Can't you place FAQ in a login environment somehow to stop the spammers?

Thank you for your help so far. I am gradually getting there.

PS. The email notification to say that someone has posted a reply in the forum does not arrive either.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 12
Ray
Posted: September 25th, 2008, 5:37pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

1.  Your email provider is blocking the emails.  It is not FireFox.  It is not Internet Explorer.  It is not Outlook Express.  When your email provider blocks emails, it is before they reach you and there is not indication to you that they have been blocked except that you do not receive them.  You could contact your email provider and ask them to remove their spam block from your account.
2.  Those are the font - Small Fonts.  Small Fonts comes installed in Windows.  You must not have it installed.
3.  OK, I found the link that does not work.  It is on the front page.  I have corrected it.  I had changed all of the other links.  I just had missed that one.

PS.  Again, your email provider is blocking the emails from this board because it identifies them as spam even though they are not spam.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 27th, 2008, 4:58am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quoted Text
1.  Your email provider is blocking the emails.

Spam blocking in the Yahoo! disposable address system is carried out at user end. Just to confirm this I contacted BT Yahoo! and they confirm that this is the case.
I have checked my spam blocker and there are no filters that are blocking your mail. Just to confirm this I turned off Spam Blocking and sent an email via the forgotten password button using Internet Explorer but it still did not arrive.
The fact that I cannot receive these emails is no great hassle as I have the password and can use Internet Explorer to access your forum. I just have to keep checking to see if any new posting has arrived.
One main drawback that I foresee is not being able to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quoted Text
2. On some of the screens in WinRescue there is text that I am unable to read properly.

Quoted Text
Those are the font - Small Fonts.  Small Fonts comes installed in Windows.  You must not have it installed.

The source of the problem is as you say Small Fonts but the answer is not quite that simple.
I know it is not a good idea to delete system fonts as they are used by various programs, but in order to determine what was causing my display issue I deleted smalle.fon and this rectified the problem.
I do not know what font Windows is substituting but it looks the same size and face as the other font you use.

NOTE: The black text on red background is actually more readable than it shows in this screen shot.

I think the problem now is the font size is not as small as intended but at least it is readable.
I did try reinstalling the font in case it had become corrupted but that was an issue in itself as it would not restore from the recycle bin but just disappeared from my system altogether.
I thought it was too much like using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut by using the Windows Setup XP cd to re-install just one font so I reinstalled it from another computer but it gave it the name smalle_0.fon. I understand this to be the name it gave it in Windows 2000.
I checked that the registry entry was correct and that it had a kb value. I activated it as Windows had de-activated it to protect my system.
However after all that it still produced the same text display problem as I had originally. Also after re-boot the font was not registered in any drop down lists so I have now deleted the font altogether and will have to leave it that way for now.
I did a search on the internet for my problem and did find another posting with exactly the same issue but there was no solution.
I did also try re-installing smalle.fon from my Windows XP cd using a Command Prompt I found on the internet but it would not install because the i386 file on my computer was set to read only and this could not be changed even by an Administrator. I discovered that many other users have had the same issue with this as well!

Amendment: I have since found an excellent way of re-installing a font from the XP cd.
Go to .........  http://www.tips-tricks-winxp.tipcom.eu/#02 and find the link "Missing or corrupted system fonts"
Works perfectly.
Still the same display problem however but the method for installing a missing font was first class.

It is just a guess but I think the real problem may be somehow connected to my graphics card.

Quoted Text
3.  OK, I found the link that does not work.  It is on the front page.  I have corrected it.

I still cannot get the link to work directly by clicking it.
This is the link I am referring to.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 12
Ray
Posted: September 27th, 2008, 11:45am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

1.  Our website is sending out the emails.  I guess you should ask Yahoo why you are not receiving emails sent to you.
2.  Could be.
3.  OK, I have corrected that.  Thanks.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 27th, 2008, 1:48pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

EMAILS NOW BEING RECEIVED

Quoted Text
1.  Our website is sending out the emails.

Emails are being received now thank you.
I now receive both password and forum posting reply emails, but only from Internet Explorer I hasten to add as I am still unable to log in using Firefox or Opera browsers.

FAQ LINK ON WEB SITE

Quoted Text
3.  OK, I have corrected that.  Thanks.

I do not understand.
As I did not keep the link to change faq to faq2 how do I get to these additional help questions now that the web site link has been removed? There was some really helpful additional information there which is not included in the software help section.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 12
Ray
Posted: September 29th, 2008, 4:00pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Go to the About screen on WinRescue XP and use the link there (Click Here to Ask Questions).
   I cannot put the link on my website because spam spiders will pick up the link and start posting spam on the FAQ.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 7 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 29th, 2008, 4:39pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you. I can now log in with Firefox.

I can find Frequently Asked Questions under the HELP section. but I assume that these are different FAQ's to the one you had a link to from your web site.
I must be missing something here. Where is the About Screen? I cannot find it under Help. The About WinRescue button just returns you to the startup screen again.

Incidentally, whilst I can now use Firefox to login I cannot use the 'quote' facility. It will not work. Perhaps the other buttons will not work either. I have not tried all of them.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 8 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 29th, 2008, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I can find Frequently Asked Questions under the HELP section. but I assume that these are different FAQ's to the one you had a link to from your web site.
I must be missing something here. Where is the About Screen? I cannot find it under Help. The About WinRescue button just returns you to the startup screen again.

Incidentally, whilst I can now use Firefox to login I cannot use the 'quote' facility. It will not work. Perhaps the other buttons will not work either. I have not tried all of them.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 9 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 29th, 2008, 5:29pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 10 - 12
Ray
Posted: September 30th, 2008, 10:11am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

• Go to the Help tab in WinRescue XP.
  • Click on the About WinRescue (start screen) button.
  • The start screen will appear.
  • There is a red box on the startup screen.  At the bottom of the red box is a link called, Click Here to Ask Questions.  Click on it and it will take you to the FAQ section.

This forum's software is written by a different company and is called E-Blah.  I have nothing to do with its programming.  I am sure that they programmed it to work with FireFox.  If not, I am sorry but there is nothing that I can do about it.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 11 - 12
crisoco2287
Posted: September 30th, 2008, 10:32am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Ray,

Quoted Text
Click Here to Ask Questions.

Thank you. I now have the link to the web site FAQ.

The quote will work OK if the quote marks are manually inserted and the quote button not pressed. Perhaps E-Blah are not aware of this problem in Firefox.

Thank you for clarifying these points.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 12 - 12
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules