Windows XP SP3 July 16th, 2018, 8:18am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Windows XP SP3

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Windows XP SP3
alanturk
Posted: September 13th, 2008, 1:10pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

I have my PC set up to receive Windows XP updates automatically. Recently, one of the updates identified itself as Service Pack 3 and gave me the option of installing it or not. As I had received reports of problems with SP3, I decided to perform a backup before I did the installation, so I rejected the update, reasoning that either I would be offered it again in the near future, or I could get it direct from Microsoft. As no further offer arrived, I searched around for it on the Microsoft website, but all I could find were descriptions of how wonderful it is, but no button marked "Download". Can anyone point me to the relevant web page, please?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

bibh_rg
Posted: September 15th, 2008, 7:28am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

If you want to decide yourself, you can download an SP3 iso image to burn to an update cd.
Just google "sp3 iso" and one of the first hits will show you the relevant MS page.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
alanturk
Posted: September 15th, 2008, 2:30pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Many thanks for the response. The only web page I could find from searching as you suggest was for SP3 to be installed on multiple computers, with a warning not to click on "Download" for a single machine. It pointed to another page, said to have a smaller and more appropriate download, but on following the links I simply came back to where I started! Surely someone out there knows how to get the single machine version???
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 5
Zedy
Posted: September 18th, 2008, 2:58pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Just download the full updater from here
Code

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/3/0/d30e32d8-418a-469d-b600-f32ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
alanturk
Posted: September 21st, 2008, 2:41pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Many thanks for your help.
Logged Offline
Reply: 4 - 5
alanturk
Posted: September 24th, 2008, 1:05pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member

Zedy, just to update you, I downloaded from the URL you gave me, did a full backup, set a restore point and ran the downloaded file. SP3 installed without problems, except that XP now starts with Windows Explorer opened. I don't really want that, but it's no big deal to close it, so I'll live with it (I couldn't find it listed under msconfig). Thanks again.
Logged Offline
Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules