Virtual Memory April 24th, 2018, 12:17am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Virtual Memory

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Virtual Memory
sunflower
Posted: September 5th, 2008, 1:49pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

A message keeps popping up that says-virtual  memory minium too low  etc -   how do I fix this?  Do I buy more memory to install?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: September 5th, 2008, 2:03pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

No, buying more memory will not fix it.
   Virtual memory is actually fake memory that Windows makes by using unused space on your harddrive.  It basically writes things that it would normally keep active in memory (like the location of the windows and what is in them) on your harddrive in a big file.
   You can change the settings for the virtual memory so it will not keep doing that.  I think the settings are in Control Panel - System - Advanced - Performance.
   The other possibility is that you are low on free space on your harddrive and so that is why you are getting those messages.  In that case you would need to free up some free space.
   Let us know what you find in the Performance area and we will go from there.  Or maybe someone else knows more.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
sunflower
Posted: September 5th, 2008, 5:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks  In virtual memory  the total paging file size for all drivers is  768MB. I don't dare to do anything with this as I'm not that good . Am going to defrag  and see how much  space I can get.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: September 6th, 2008, 8:11am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Mine is 576MB.
   Try clicking on the Change button (In Control Panel - System - Advanced tab - Performance Settings - Advanced tab - Virtual memory).  A window will open giving you more information.  You can click on each drive and it will show you information about the virtual memory file (paging file) on each drive and how much free space you have available for the file.
   It is best to keep the paging file where it is, but if you have to (and not having enough free space may be a reason to), its location can be changed here by lowering the size on the drive where it is at and clicking on the Custom size item on a different drive and increasing the size.
   Drives that do not have a paging file have the No paging file item checked.
   You probably have all of the virtual memory on one drive which is good.  And it is probably on the first drive, C, where Windows is.  This is also good.
   You can experiment with the size by checking the Custom size circle and setting the size in the two textboxes.  Put it above the Recommended size by a few MBs.  Both settings can be the same number.  Both of mine are 576MB and the Recommended size is 574MB.  Once you change it, be sure to click on the Set button.  You will need to restart the computer for it to activate it.
   If that does not help, you can increase it by a couple hundred MB and see if that helps.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules