Winrescue splitting backups unnecessarily September 26th, 2018, 8:39am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Winrescue splitting backups unnecessarily

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Winrescue splitting backups unnecessarily
duraden
Posted: August 14th, 2008, 9:13am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I'm struggling to get Winrescue to behave consistently when backing up larger size backups, eg. an uncompressed size of 5.37 GB consisting largely of pictures. Having upgraded from version 1.05 to 1.08 it now seems to work to some extent, BUT, the backup comes up with an error that the "backupname could not be verified". Upon browsing the backup using the extractor the backup seems to be split in to several files with extensions .001 .002 .003 etc. These do not appear as Zip folders but the icons are the of the "unrecognised" by windows type. Strangely the last file, .006 in this case seems to have all the files in it, the earlier files .001 to .005 have sections of the back up each, but as far as I can tell between them also hold all of the backup. When I make smaller backups of just a section of the files in which I'm interested, the backup completes without verification errors and the backup appears as a regular zip folder. The "Save Large Files in Blocks of" option is not selected. I have tried moving the TEMP folder to another drive with 23 GB space although the default TEMP folder was on the master drive with 13 GB space in any case. To have confidence in the backups I would dearly like it to complete without errors and as a single zip folder. Is there any inherent reason why it should not do so. The only advice I have found on your website is that backups up to about 10 GB in size should be OK but larger ones not so. Can you help?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: August 14th, 2008, 12:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The problem you are having is because Verify does not work with split backup files.  Help states this.  Verify is unchecked by default.
   There is no need to use Verify because the Backup is always verified before the Backup is completed.  Verify just does an extra verification after the backup is completed but because the backup is split up, it cannot be verified and so you get the error.
   WinRescue automatically splits up the backup because that speeds things up and avoids errors.
   If you do not want the backup to be split up, check the Large Blocks checkbox and enter a number greater than the size of the backup.
   In split zip files the contents of the zip file are divided among the files but the list of the contents is at the end of the last file.  This is why you could only find files in the last file, but if you had tried to restore those files, you would have found that not all of them could be restored because not all of them are actually there.  They are in the other files.  The Extractor of WinRescue handles the split zip files with no problem giving you access to all of the split files as a whole.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
duraden
Posted: August 15th, 2008, 3:28am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Many thanks for your help Ray
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread