Upgrade to Vista from XP Home? April 22nd, 2018, 2:19pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Upgrade to Vista from XP Home?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Upgrade to Vista from XP Home?
murphyslaw
Posted: August 6th, 2008, 4:57am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I use the word 'upgrade' with a fair amount of trepidation as I have read a lot of info about Vista problems .. drivers, incompatibility with software etc.

So, I currently use XP Home.
My machine uses twin 19 inch LCDs, Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard with Intel Core 2 Quad Processor and 4GB of RAM
I'm reasonably happy with it and there's not much I can't do .. but I like the look of Vista and have it on a few laptops (Not much software installed on them so no issues with it so far)
I use programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash and several others, several of which can be open at the same time. There is some lag when several are open.

I have a lot of RAM laying around and nowhere to put it so was thinking of 64 bit Vista.

So, stick with XP or go for Vista?
Will throwing more RAM at 64 bit Vista improve performance?

Thanks
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

appel
Posted: August 7th, 2008, 12:46pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

I bought a new PC a few months ago and it came with Vista64, is has an Intel 2.6G quad core and 4 gigs of DDR3 ram, dual 500G SATA2 HDs. I came with an Nvidia 8500, but I upgraded that to an 8800 for gaming.

I am MOST pleased with it's performance, everything is fast, I have never had a faster machine. I guess Vista had many many issues when it first came out, but it is as solid as a rock now, I haven't had a crash yet.

Most of  the controls are fully intuitive, but i did pick a book on it.

The few drawbacks are:

You have to learn to run some program like A1 cleaner as an administrator, but thats easily done.

Office 97 doesn't run on Vista, so I had to spend $100 to get office 2007, and learn about it ... not too bad really.

My recently registered copies of Webroot's Window washer and Spysweeper will only run  correctly on Vista32

Many companies are working on Vista 64 bit compability, but they also seem to be dragging their feet. In a way Vista64 bit is still for pioneers.

But A1 cleaner and RegVac both work perfectly fine.

So if you can live with these minor issues, go ahead and do it, for all of its' bad publicity Vista is Sweeeeeet!

If your lagging a little now you may benefit with more ram, XP really only uses 3.2 gigs of ram at the most - You wont do any worse switching to Vista

e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules