Problem with RegVac on WinXP Pro SP2? April 24th, 2018, 12:29am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Problem with RegVac on WinXP Pro SP2?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Problem with RegVac on WinXP Pro SP2?
Cassandra
Posted: July 31st, 2008, 2:23pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Good evening!

I discovered a trojan on my machine which my free anti-virus program didn't pick up, although some of the standard anti-virus sites list it.  Since it didn't have an uninstall program, I decided to remove it by deleting the relevant files, using RegVac to clean the registry, and using msconfig to remove an entry it had added to win.ini.  I've done cleanups in that way before.  I first made a backup of the registry and some other odds and ends using WinRescue XP (I'm running XP Pro SP2.)

After removing the files and the win.ini entry, rebooting after each action, everything was fine.  I then ran Classes Vac from RegVac 4.02.12.  (I also did searches using Software Vac and Bad Link Vac, but I didn't find anything worth deleting.)  I rebooted after using RegVac, seemed to enter Windows OK, but couldn't connect to the net or to my router.  Windows showed the connection as "connected", but no data were being passed either way.  There were some other problems with the Windows networking setup, but I don't remember the details.  I then entered the RegVac Undo window.  I couldn't get that day's .reg file to show anything in the main window, and Windows showed it has having 0 bytes.  

I restored the registry using WinRescue, rebooted, and everything worked fine.

I then tried to use an old version of RegVac which I have, file modified August 2003.  I could get expert mode to display properly at all.  Novice mode did remove some junk, apparently using both Classes Vac and Software Vac.  Everything seems to be fine now.

My questions are:
1. Why did 4.02.12 apparently delete from the registry and damage my registry without putting anything into the .reg file?  Is it safe to use this version on WinXP Pro SP2?
2. Why can't I use my old version of RegVac with WinXP?  Is it simply too old to be compatible?

Thanks.
C.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: July 31st, 2008, 3:46pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

RegVac saves the settings in the undo file before it removes the entry from the registry.  Why that did not work on your computer?  I don't know.  It sounds like something on your computer kept that from happening.  I doubt it has anything to do with WinXP Pro SP2.  I am sure many people use RegVac in WinXP Pro SP2.  That is what I am running.
   The current version of RegVac is 5.01.20.
   I do not know why the old version of RegVac did not work.
   It sounds like you have something wrong in WinXP.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 1
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules