Why Registry backup? July 17th, 2018, 5:22am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Why Registry backup?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Why Registry backup?
algasys
Posted: July 19th, 2008, 7:08am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hello Everybody,

Sometimes I do registry backup. There are also checkpoint in win xp.

As the pc use always modify the registry, I'm perplex: If I doa restore, at any moment,  all the modifications beetween the backup and this moment are not backed up. So what should happend???

So I think that backup is useless!!

What's wrong in my point of view or i there a solution?

Thank you very much
Logged Offline
Site e-mail YIM
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Cassandra
Posted: July 19th, 2008, 12:44pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

It's true that Windows is constantly modifying its registry, mostly for what the system people used to call "housekeeping" - but most of these modifications have little long-term significance, and some have none.  It has happened many times that my registry was seriously damaged, usually by installing some third-rate software or by something that happened during a power failure; sometimes it was so badly damaged that the system wouldn't boot at all.  I fixed it by restoring the registry, sometimes from a backup a few days or a few weeks old.  Sometimes some silliness like a program's recently-used-file list disappeared in the restore, sometimes some minor changes in system or application configuration disappeared, and sometimes an entire app which had been installed since the last backup had to be reinstalled.

I would rather have a recently-used used file list disappear, or even have to reinstall an application, than to have to reinstall Windows and almost all of the applications, which is sometimes the alternative if the registry is badly damaged.

If you are very worried about the problems of using an old registry, you could back up the registry before every software installation, and before almost any major change in system configuration.  There are also ways of backing up the registry on a schedule, e.g., every night.

Good luck.
C.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Ray
Posted: July 20th, 2008, 3:09pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

When you, or faulty software, or a virus messes up the registry and the computer will not start, the only solution is to restore a backup.  Doing so can really get you out of a bad spot.  The Restore Points are not available when Windows crashes, so they are no good in that situation.
   Yes, you may lose some recent changes, but usually the recent changes are not something you will miss.  I have restored backups over a week old and not have any problems.
   Making more backups will lessen this problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
algasys
Posted: July 26th, 2008, 5:44am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Quoted from Ray
Yes, you may lose some recent changes, but usually the recent changes are not something you will miss.  I have restored backups over a week old and not have any problems.   Making more backups will lessen this problem.

Quoted from Cassandra
I would rather have a recently-used used file list disappear, or even have to reinstall an application, than to have to reinstall Windows and almost all of the applications, which is sometimes the alternative if the registry is badly damaged.

C.

Dear Cassandra and Ray,

I thank you very very much for your answer.

I am convinced by your logical explanations. If the changes are minor certainly I also prefer to not reinstaal all the computer.

I shall work according to your experience.

One time more: thank you.

Logged Offline
Site e-mail YIM Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules