Deleting TAR.BZ2 Files October 20th, 2018, 11:35pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Deleting TAR.BZ2 Files

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Deleting TAR.BZ2 Files
onemaddude
Posted: July 1st, 2008, 11:06am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I'm far from being a computer novice but this problem has me baffled. I love down loading and trying all  of the new programs and games I can find, mostly freebies. Sometimes they come compressed with a RAR.BZ2 extension. I use the free Zip Genius to unzip them with no problem, create a new folder, put the un-zipped files in it and move it to a different drive. The problem occurs when I try to delete the original TAR.BZ2 file. I get a message saying that the file is being used by another program but I can't find any program that is. Even re-booting or a hard shutdown has no effect. This can go on for weeks or months. Then, one day I might boot up, right click on the RAR.BZ2 file, choose delete, and it's gone. Any ideas why this happens or how I can delete these files??? This problem is REALLY driving me nuts. Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

pipdev
Posted: July 6th, 2008, 6:17am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

these sort of non-obvious problems can drive you mad, can't they ?

try closing your email client, AND any associated word processor (i.e. Outlook  starts Word as its html editor) since it may be that is what's keeping the file 'open'.

Open Task Manager (or better still Process Explorer) as sometimes Word will be running even when Outlook is closed and you have no documents open. and make sure it has closed.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
Ray
Posted: July 7th, 2008, 11:21am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

My guess would be that ZipGenius is keeping it open.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
onemaddude
Posted: July 7th, 2008, 2:39pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll try them but I don't use Outlook Express or Word and think that, if I do a "Hard" boot, these programs should let go of any hold they have on the TAR.BZ2 file.

Onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 3 - 6
Ray
Posted: July 8th, 2008, 12:16pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I know nothing about ZipGenius but what I was thinking is that ZipGenius may load in the last tar.bz2 file when ZipGenius is started and so it may be doing that.  If ZipGenius is not running when you try to delete the file, then that is not the problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
onemaddude
Posted: July 9th, 2008, 11:52am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thanks Ray! I'm going to try un-installing Zip Genius. That should tell me for sure if it is the culprit.  

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 5 - 6
onemaddude
Posted: July 9th, 2008, 12:43pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Thanks again Ray, you were right. I un-installed Zip Genius, re-booted and was able to delete the TAR.BZ2 file with no problem. I intend to contact the Zip Genius to find out why it only happens with one type of file and so they can rework their software to solve the problem. Thanks again!!

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules