on and off USB ports April 24th, 2018, 2:46pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  on and off USB ports

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    on and off USB ports
saxifrage
Posted: June 14th, 2008, 5:47pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

[face=Courier][/face][color=blue][/color]In the last months, my USB ports haven't been stable.  First it was my digital camera connection at the front port.  I switched to the second USB port there and everything was fine.  Then, when I tried the first port again, it worked.  Do those ports re-charge?

Now my mouse is blipping.  It stalled, on and off again.  I tried re-inserting it into the back USB port.  Finally, I put it in the second port there.  Everything was fine until today.  It went off again.  I put it in the usual back port, what had interruptions, and everything was fine again.

Do these USB ports re-charge?  Are they failing?  Can they be replaced in the computer?  

Thanks,

saxifrage
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Jogor
Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 6:08am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Go into Device Manager and see if there are any conflicts with your USB ports. If so reinstall the drivers.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
saxifrage
Posted: June 22nd, 2008, 4:39pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Thanks!  Today everything is "working properly."  Now I know how to check if there's trouble.  Appreciate it and this site - saxifrage
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Jogor
Posted: June 28th, 2008, 8:29am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Also if you are going to disconnect a USB device make sure you click on the icon in the systray and then click on Safely Remove Hardware. Failure to do this can damage the port or device

Joe
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
saxifrage
Posted: July 6th, 2008, 4:35pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

[face=Sans-Serif][/face][color=purple][/color]  The issue started up again.  Basically, the light goes out on the mouse and then it will sound off and then on.  If it doesn't go back on, I've been plugging into another USB port.  Then it's fine.  The USB ports and the mouse are in working order, according to my Device Manager.  I tried to update the driver but there weren't any updates.  Once during the on and off, the driver was re-installed.  When I uninstalled it at a port, it didn't automatically re-install.  But the mouse still worked.  

I don't have a mouse icon in my tray so the mouse has been going on and off without any safe removal.  This happened with my digital camera too at its usual  port.  I went to another port and when I went back to the one that didn't work, it worked fine.

It's musical chairs with my USB ports.  I don't understand why the drivers don't re-install if I uninstall and why the port still works.  It's every few days, there's a disruption, easily fixed but, as you say, it could be damaging the ports.  In the troubleshooting, I read that there could be a power problem with too many ports being used.  I use a digital camera at one, a printer at another.  Is it overload?

saxifrage
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules