What is the index.dat file? October 19th, 2018, 9:30am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  What is the index.dat file?

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    What is the index.dat file?
Ray
Posted: June 9th, 2008, 2:33pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

(this is a question sent to me by email)

In the cookies file there is a file called the index file. It seems to keep on growing and growing. I always delete a lot of my cookies, mostly the advertising ones. This index file can't be deleted. I have tried. First why is that and second why does it keep on growing in KB? Can this file be deleted in another way? Don't want to try unless I know for sure.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: June 9th, 2008, 2:37pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

The index.dat files are in certain folders on your computer.
   They are produced by Internet Explorer and tell where you have been online and by Outlook and Outlook Express to track your emails.
   Windows keeps them open all of the time and so they cannot be deleted.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
Mister Ed
Posted: June 15th, 2008, 4:57pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

The index.dat file contains all of your surfing habits, and is not a necessary file. It can be deleted by going to dos before win boots, but the easy way is to use a program like CCleaner, a great, free utility (please donate if you like it) to get rid of index.dat files, temp files, Firefox and IE histories, and much, much more. Find it at http://www.ccleaner.com/download
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 5
Ray
Posted: June 21st, 2008, 4:51am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

A1Click (http://www.superwin.com/a1clean.htm) deletes the index.dat file but previously it did not delete the index.dat files that Windows kept open.  I have now changed that.  The latest version of A1Click will delete all index.dat files.  To use this new feature, you will have to go to Cleaner Settings in A1Click, uncheck the Time Buffer checkbox (be sure to recheck this checkbox after doing this), check the Remove Stubborn INDEX.DAT Files checkbox on tab 5, and run Run Settings.  The stubborn index.dat files will be deleted when your computer restarts.
   Please be aware that deleting the index.dat files may have adverse effects, one of which is that you will have to relog in on this forum, you will not be automatically logged in as usual.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
waterwall
Posted: June 30th, 2008, 11:56am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I know windows is a pack rat, but how long does it keep index,dat files? Does XP have a cap on the file size or does it keep growing?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 5
Ray
Posted: July 1st, 2008, 11:51am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I do not know of any file size limit.  Index.dat files are kept indefinitely.  So, yes, it keeps growing.
   But please understand that some valid settings are kept in the index.dat file.  After deleting my index.dat files, I had to log into all of the websites that were automatically logging me in before and my bank required me to verify my computer before I could access their website.
   So I would recommend only deleting the index.dat files once a year or so and to be ready to redo many of the logins.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules