Replacing XP with 98SE October 20th, 2018, 10:25pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Replacing XP with 98SE

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Replacing XP with 98SE
plonkeroo
Posted: June 1st, 2008, 12:18pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hiya, Everyone!

My Win98SE machine is held together with string and chewing gum but I'm very fond of it. Besides, all my programmes, usernames, and passwords are installed on it not to mention native DOS without which I could not do. My son is proposing to sell on his WinXP machine and is pressing me to accept XP instead of 98SE. But my idea is to get him to switch the hard disks around from one machine to the other, the object being to have 98SE running on the newer machine. And perhaps to use an ALL.REG to back up my present settings.

Do you foresee any serious problems with my plan?
Logged Offline
Site e-mail Windows Live Messenger
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: June 2nd, 2008, 2:37pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I would suggest replacing the drives in the new computer with the old drives.  That may or may not work depending on what was on the old computer and what is on the new one.  I have done that successfully.
   If it does work, you can attach the other drives as extra drives.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Cenzo
Posted: June 10th, 2008, 7:21am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Won't he have to install the new MB drivers? I have heard this is a very painfull process.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
Ray
Posted: June 10th, 2008, 12:52pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Hook the system drive up to the new computer so that it is in the system drive position.  If there are other drives, hook them up so that they have the same drive letter as on the old computer.  Start the computer.  If it works, it works and you just saved yourself a lot of work.  As I said, I have done this successfully before.
   If it does not work, turn off the computer and move to plan B which is installing Windows on one of the new drives and hooking the old drives up as additional drives and reinstalling all of your programs.  Unless your drives all have the same drive letter as the old computer and the programs are in the same place as they were on the old computer, an ALL.REG file will do you no good.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules