No Sound April 24th, 2018, 12:31am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  No Sound

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    No Sound
stuartnolan
Posted: May 25th, 2008, 4:47pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Same story as Baloria... sudddenly one day no sound.  I too have done all of the usual stuff to include changing sound cards.  My guess is that the problem is in the registry, and that something is turning off the sound as windows loads.  The only thing I know about the registry is to leave it alone.  Restore won't get me back far enough in time to find anything.  I suppose that a repair-type reinstall might work, but short of that can anyone tell me where to look in the registry for this kind of problem?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: May 26th, 2008, 12:29pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I doubt the registry would help you.  I would recommend insuring that the sound card works, the speakers are hooked up, the sound card is properly installed, and the volume and mute settings are correct.  It should be one of those.  If you can't figure it out, it is probably a problem with the sound card.  You may need to get a new one (or at least try a different one that you know works).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
Cromwell1944
Posted: May 27th, 2008, 6:17am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have replied to Baloria,I don't know if what I did to my system will be of help to you?
regards Cromwell
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 5
stuartnolan
Posted: June 1st, 2008, 6:55am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks Ray... I have done all of the things you describe to include a new sound card and still no sound. The reason I think that something is disabling the sound is after uninstalling the old driver when I install the new card and turn the machine on, it plays the windows starting theme, and after windows loads there are no sounds.  This also happens conversely - uninstall new drivers, install old card and when the machine boots it plays the windows theme but after windows loads - no sound!  Any thoughts?  I've uninstalled all programs that were installed back to a point when I remember that I had sound and still nothing.  It's an XP machine, would a repair install of Windows help?  By the way, are A1 Click and Regvac Vista compatible?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
Ray
Posted: June 2nd, 2008, 2:09pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

At least you know that your speakers and the sound card work.
   Is it possible that only one type of sound file is not being played?  If so, the problem could be with your associations.
   If you have the WinXP CD, you might try reinstalling WinXP.  Reinstalling should not mess anything up.  I would think that would be more helpful than a repair install.  Just install Windows to the same location where it is.
   Sound problems can be baffling.
   Yes, A1Click and RegVac are Vista compatible.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 5
stuartnolan
Posted: June 4th, 2008, 1:04pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thanks again Ray, all sound files are affected (wav, mp3 etc).  I think that you and I have been saying the same thing in that what I was calling a "Repair Install" is actually a "Reinstall" as you correctly referred to it.  Yes I have a system cd and will do a "Reinstall" (the only option from the CD other that a "clean" install) after getting my new Dell XPS system all set up. Would like to get the old XP based machine working properly before giving it away.  Will let you know if that fixes the sound problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules