Win XP Service pack 3 June 24th, 2018, 10:07pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Win XP Service pack 3

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Win XP Service pack 3
onclejean
Posted: May 24th, 2008, 5:16am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Prompted by Microsoft Update I installed Service Pack 3 yesterday May 23rd. Installed including download was straight forward - 20 minutes including download.

After rebooting Windows started but hung at the chucking bricks screen. Safe Mode was OK. Could not see why Windows was hanging. Read the overview and could see very few advantages to be gained from SP3. Is this really only useful for users reloading or installing Windows+SP1 ?

I restored my system from the clone made before starting SP3 and all well. Is it worth bothering about SP3?
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: May 24th, 2008, 9:41am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I have SP2.  I have not tried SP3.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
bjb007
Posted: May 25th, 2008, 12:37am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Only read one review and it was enough
to put me off.

Search for SP3 reviews and you'll find quite
a few.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
pirgnori
Posted: June 1st, 2008, 7:32am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I guess I was lucky. Installed SP 3 two weeks ago w/o any problems. Check the microsoft site for user problems and solutions.

Friends, most of whom are techies, unlike me, also had no problems, so based on their experience I did the upgrade. But, reading comments on the Web, it's clear that lots of users have SP3 upgrade problems.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
rarrows
Posted: June 1st, 2008, 9:16am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

The best way to install the SP3 is to use msconfig to do a clean boot with no startup programs. go to Start/run, type in msconfig.
uncheck install startup programs and reboot.

This step will insure that antivirus and firewalls will not interfer. Sp3 attempts to copy and make changes to these programs and the better products will not allow  that.
Intel processors respond well but I hear there can be issues with AMD processors.
SP3 attempts to activate the MS firewall and restore. so after installing and rebooting
verify that they are turned off. unless you want them on. I don't recommend leaving them on as the firewall is very poor and restore will reinsert malware that your antivirus removes.

Ray, please note that "Speed Startup" will block MSconfig. I had to rename the .exe
file and the Speed Startup folder. to get msconfig to run. It would be convenient if there was a disable button in the Speed Startup Program. I tried allowing msconfig in the run program white file but it did not work, it still loaded all startup programs.
I include this note here because many of us use your program.

Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
quinland
Posted: June 1st, 2008, 8:08pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

There are two types of problems I have seen. One is with AMD processors. The other I encountered was MSUpdate downloads did not install. There are a number of articles on the AMD problem - which I did not encounter on one of my AMD machines.
For the download intall problem, I found a program Dial-a-fix, from http://www.softpedia.com, which solved the problem for this, and for another computer using SP2 upgraded from SP1.
The program is free, donations requested. It does a number of other cleanup tasks.
PS: I had to uninstall Norton 360 before running it, then reinstalled N360. Symantec's downloads for this worked like a charm and were quite quick. BuDump.exe saves information. Norton-Removal-Tool.exe removed all references to Norton/Symantec programs. After running dial-a-fix, I rebooted and found a Norton/Symantec screen directing me to their download screen. It downloaded and reinstalled my Norton 360v2. I had saved my product key, but didn't need it in the reinstall process.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
Cenzo
Posted: June 2nd, 2008, 7:11am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Did the SP3 update from a disk which I got from MS. The update went smoothly but I lost my USB wireless connection. I beleive a driver update from SP3 failed and the only way to get it back was to uninstall and reinstall the original drivers. MS seems to have forgotten that most USB hardware requires you to load the drivers first and do a restart before pluging in the hardware. Besides that NP so far.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules