PC Won't boot July 21st, 2018, 1:59am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  PC Won't boot

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    PC Won't boot
bobwilson508
Posted: May 18th, 2008, 4:04pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have 2 computers.  One, a Gateway,running Windows XP Home edition and the other was given to me by a friend who had it put custom built by a computer sales shop.  It "was" installed with Windows98,(second edition). The reason I say "was" is because I tried to reformat the hard drive and now I have nothing!  I wish I knew what I did to screw it up, but I don't.  I've reformatted my XP many times without any problems.  Now when I try to boot it up I get a Dos screen that says: " Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0....ok,         Invalid System Disk,       Replace the Disk and then press any key."

That's as far as I get.  I tried shutting it down and rebooting with the Boot Disk, ( which came with the system ), but I get the same message.  I even found a site on the web where I made another Boot Disk for Windows98SE, but no luck.  Can anyone help?

Would I be able to install the 98 system on my XP's hard drive and then transfer it to the 98's hard drive?  Is that possible?  I do have a USB to SATA/IDE ADAPTER.  
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: May 19th, 2008, 8:12am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

It sounds like the harddrive does not have DOS on it.  When you do a format, if you do not add the /S parameter, it will end up with no DOS.  With Windows 95, 98, ME you have to have DOS.  
   You can use the Windows 98SE boot disk to put DOS back on.  Start the computer with the diskette in the diskette drive (this should start you in DOS).  At the command prompt type one of the following:
  • to reformat C drive use the command "format C: /S" or
  • to add the system files to C use the command, "sys C".  This is the easiest and fastest.

(I am assuming the drive that was formatted is C.  If not, replace C with the letter of the drive).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
bobwilson508
Posted: May 19th, 2008, 9:45pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

As I stated in my post,  I tried a couple of times to reboot with the boot disk , but as soon as I hit a key, ( any key ), I get the same message; "Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0... ok",  next line says, " Invalid System Disk ",  next line says,  "Replace the disk and then press any key".   I thought maybe the Boot Disk was bad so I downloaded another one from a web site, but I keep getting the same thing.

I know it's an old system and all, but I thought that I'd use it just to read email and surff the web.  Maybe it's a lost cause.  What do you think about what I asked in my other post: Is it possible to reformat the 98's hard drive by using my xp's system?  Or won't that work?

I really do appreciate all the knowledge I've learned from this web site.  All of you who take the time to teach the rest of us what to do, and how to do it, deserve more credit than we can give you.   Thanks to all!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 5
Ray
Posted: May 20th, 2008, 7:56am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

From what you said before, the errors that you are receiving come from the harddrive and not the diskette.  Now you seem to be saying that they come from the diskette.
   If you put the boot diskette in the diskette drive, start the computer, and a command prompt does not come up allowing you to enter commands, the boot diskette is bad.  This has nothing to do with the computer.  You probably did not make the diskette correctly or it is a bad diskette.
   Your question before in the first post was whether you can install 98 in XP.  The answer is no.  You can install it using the boot diskette and/or a Win98 CD.  If you do not have a Win98 CD, you cannot install Win98.
   Your question in the previous post is a different question.  Yes, you can reformat the drive in XP.  If the drive is not reformatted in FAT32 though, it will not work in Win98.
   Reformatting and installing Win98 are not the same thing.  Reformatting will wipe off Win98 from the drive.  Installing Win98 puts Win98 on the drive.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
wtayo2
Posted: May 26th, 2008, 6:32am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Might I suggest that you check the boot order in your Bios. To be able to use the diskette and/or the Win 98SE CD, set your boot order as follows;
1st Floppy disk
2nd CD Drive
3rd Hard Drive
It appears that when you boot your custom machine it is always looking for the hard drive first. By changing the boot order you are telling the machine which device you want to use as the boot device. Many machines will give you a hint when they first start as to how you can enter the Bios with a certain key (F2, Delete, etc.). The hint flashes very quickly so you will have to look for it carefully. Be careful when you are in the Bios, a mistake here can make your machine unusable.
e-mail Reply: 4 - 5
quinland
Posted: June 12th, 2008, 11:52pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Try the boot order rearrangement first. If it works, you should be set to go.
If that doesn't work, you can try the install program from your hard drive manufacturer. The install disk/CD will usually allow you to format with a choice of formats. Use Fat32 for Win 98.
If all else fails, put the drive into your Gateway computer, observing the proper placement of jumpers (usually making your malfunctioning drive a 'slave'. Win XP should allow you to reformat the drive.
If you don't have a specific reason for using Win 98, I suggest Win2000, if you can find an installation disk. WinXP will require a licensed installation disk. After you've reformatted the disk, try it again in you other computer (changing the jumpers to master/solo if it's the only drive).
There is a possibility that the boot track of the drive has gone bad. The installation disk from the manufacturer will tell you this (most times).
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules