Giant Step Backwards December 12th, 2018, 8:38am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Your Input    Questions  ›  Giant Step Backwards

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Giant Step Backwards
JST
Posted: March 30th, 2008, 9:26am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I have a program that I use in my business that was originally built for Windows 98/ME. I have tested it on Windows XP and Vista, and it does not work in these environments. An upgraded version of my program does not exist for XP and Vista. I have an old desktop Windows ME computer that I use to run my program in my office. However, I will be traveling much in the near future, and I need to take my program with me on a laptop. Is it possible to purchase a Vista laptop and then install windows ME on it?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: March 31st, 2008, 7:13pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

There are two ways to do that.
   One would be to install Windows ME in a different directory than Windows Vista and have a dual boot up where when the computer starts, it will show a screen which allows you to choose which Windows you want to use.  I am not sure how smoothly it will go in setting that all up or if there are some special steps that you must take.  Maybe someone else would know that.
   The other way to go is to get a Virtual Machine.  This is something that Microsoft has on their website for free.  It installs in Vista and then you can install Windows ME in the Virtual Machine.  Windows ME basically then runs in a window in Vista.  It may run a lot slower doing it that way but it is not as difficult to install.
   Maybe someone else has other suggestions.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 7
JST
Posted: April 1st, 2008, 9:35am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Ray,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been reading about the Virtual Machine, and it seems like this is the better soultion.

Many Thanks!
e-mail Reply: 2 - 7
SUNDANCE
Posted: April 2nd, 2008, 11:41am Report to Moderator
Guest User

I would suggest you use the Win98  program as opposed to Win ME
Win ME is not as stable as Win 98

A dual boot with Win98 will work if done correctly.

Make the decision and then insure you have gthe correct Vista recovery disk(s)
Sone of the newer laptops (HP, Compag and e'Machines etc.) have the recovery disks on D drive and requires that you make DVD copies (or 12 CD's) of the recovery "image".  

If you have a recovery image on the DVDs you cannot create a dual boot on that laptop with that set of recovery disks.  In that the first OS (ie Win9 is already installing the DVD image will wipe out everythng as it "images" the hard drive.  

If you really want to do it (dual boot - that is) go to Wal-Mart and buy a Vista Home Premium disk (at $158.00 ). Once you have that disk in hand install the Win98 first and then put the Vista in on top of that. Remember that the disk(s) provided by the manufacturer has drivers for the computer hardware (wireless hardware etc)  The Wal-Mart Vista program may or may not have the drivers.

I have not read nor have I seen a dual boot computer with the second operating system put on top (installed) of the allready installed Vista program.

I have dual booted several computers to include laptops and they all work fine if done correctly.

Nothing'n's easy

Sail on
Sundance
e-mail Reply: 3 - 7
JST
Posted: April 2nd, 2008, 2:09pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Sundance,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed solution to my problem. I appreciate your effort!

JST
e-mail Reply: 4 - 7
Cenzo
Posted: April 6th, 2008, 6:39am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Have you tried running it in the  win 98 compatibility mode in XP?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 7
JST
Posted: April 6th, 2008, 1:06pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Cenzo,

Yes, I tried running the program in the Windows 98 compatibility mode in XP, but no luck.

Thanks though,
JST
e-mail Reply: 6 - 7
JST
Posted: July 7th, 2008, 11:53am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Feedback

Well, I purchased an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC that came with Vista Home Premium (32-bit).

Next, I decided to install Microsoft's free Virtual PC Console 2007(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx), however it requires one of the following Vista versions: Business, Enterprise, or Ultimate. I purchased and installed the Windows Anytime Upgrade Pack - Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit) with Service Pack 1. I then loaded Virtual PC 2007.

I spent several hours investigating how to install my Windows ME (upgrade) non-bootable CD into the Virtual PC Console. My new computer does not have a 3 1/2 inch disk drive required for the first part of the Windows ME installation. After Google searching, I was able to create a CD boot disk that contained, in part, my ME 3 1/2 inch boot disk files, my ME upgrade install CD files and Windows 98 upgrade CD files (required when installing from an ME upgrade CD).

I successfully: loaded Windows ME in the Virtual PC console 2007, and installed all my old  software, and it works just like on my old ME machine but much faster.

In addition to my ME computer, I have another computer that runs Windows XP Professional. So, after having such good luck with the ME install, I decided to create a Windows XP Professional vitual machine in the Windows Virtual PC Console 2007. This went smoothly as the XP Professional CD was bootable. I really did not need this, but I decided to try it. It works very well and fast!

I now have a mobile office computer that has ME, XP Pro and Windows Vista Ultimate installed on it. I am really satisfied with the results.

e-mail Reply: 7 - 7
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Questions  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules