how to permanently remove processes April 23rd, 2018, 11:42am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Windows  ›  how to permanently remove processes

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    how to permanently remove processes
gheins
Posted: February 9th, 2008, 2:02pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

How would I turn off (permanently) the processes I don't want? I used the MSconfig utility and checked the 'auto restore' feature. Yet, they keep coming back. This on an a computer running XP .
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: February 14th, 2008, 2:40am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I am not sure what you are referring to about MSConfig.  I assume you are talking about the Services tab, but I don't see any 'auto restore' feature.
   By Processes, I assume you are talking about the list that is shown in the Task Manager on the Processes tab.  The processes listed there are either processes used by running Applications or installed Services.
   To get rid of processes used by running Applications, quit the Application running them.  An example of this is the process, notepad.exe.  Notepad.exe is shown because the Notepad is open.  Close Notepad and the process, notepad.exe, will be removed from the processes list.  Another example is iexplore.exe, which is connected to Internet Explorer.  If any of these are appearing on the list without you running any applications, they can be removed by finding out what is starting them at startup and removing it from startup (msconfig and Speed Startup can help you with this).
   The installed Services shown in Processes are not actually running, even though msconfig reports them as running.  Instead they are listed in the registry as installed.  So there really is no problem with having these on the Processes list because they really are not running and are not using any resources.  If you remove these (they can be removed by uninstalling the service) there may be problems when the associated application is run.  Not all of the Services shown in MSConfig are shown in the Processes list.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 2
Snakeyes
Posted: February 14th, 2008, 4:39am Report to Moderator
Big Member

At the command prompt type  services.msc
In the window that opens up Right-click on the service and choose properties in the dropdown menu.
In the startuptype window choose disable
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 2
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Windows  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules