NTFS vs. FAT File System October 16th, 2018, 2:52pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Windows  ›  NTFS vs. FAT File System

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    NTFS vs. FAT File System
Meri051846
Posted: February 1st, 2008, 10:37pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

My OS is Windows XP Home, SP-2.  I use WinRescue XP for my backup.  I have just recently come to the realization that the file system on my computer is NTFS and the file system on the external hard drive I backup to is FAT 32.  I don't know enough about this subject to even ask the right questions, but it occurred to me that maybe I am not getting my backup done correctly if the file systems are different.  I have been doing these backups for over 2 years from this laptop and am worried that none of them have been any good.  I guess, if that's the case, I have just been lucky that nothing major has happened to where I had to restore something.  Then again, maybe it is just fine and I am worried for nothing.  Can someone help me and tell me what I can do to remedy this, if need be?  Thanx, in advance, for whatever help anyone can give me.  MERI[/face][/face][/color]
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Snakeyes
Posted: February 2nd, 2008, 4:02am Report to Moderator
Big Member

Its absolutely no problem.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 4
Meri051846
Posted: February 2nd, 2008, 5:30pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Wow, Snakeyes, thank you so very much for your prompt answer!  So, just to clarify, if I have to "rescue" any of my files and reinstall them from the backup, I would just ignore the fact that they are backed up to a hard drive that is in the FAT 32 format and go ahead and reinstall them onto my laptop harddrive which is NTFS.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 4
Ray
Posted: February 2nd, 2008, 6:10pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Yes, it is not a problem.
   NTFS allows bigger files and bigger drives but that is the only difference you will notice.
   The only drawback of NTFS is that it cannot be accessed from MSDOS outside of Windows (DOS inside of Windows can access it).  But you probably will never need to do that anyway.  Other operating systems can access NTFS outside of Windows.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 4
Meri051846
Posted: February 2nd, 2008, 8:57pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Thank you, Ray!  My mind is at ease now and I will continue with my backups.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 4
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Windows  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules