Systray icons missing July 20th, 2018, 1:08am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Windows  ›  Systray icons missing

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Systray icons missing
rawana75
Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 3:47am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

After using the Recovery CD in order to restore Windows XP SP2 (could not be started any longer) I am missing in the systray the icons for the loudspeakers and "remove hardware securely". The icon for the loudspeakers is activated but not be seen. I have found no possibility to activate the second icon. Shown are only the icons for Internet Security, DragtoDisc (WinOnCD), Internet Connection and Outlook.
For any help I would be very thankful.
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Snakeyes
Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 7:44am Report to Moderator
Big Member

The icon for "remove hardware securely" seems to only appear for selective USB/FireWire accessories.  For many accessories it only appears when they are first plugged into the PC. for example I do not get this icon for my external USB hard drive but do get it when I plug in my camera. I am not sure what is the logic behind this behavior. As for the loudspeaker icon, have you checked off the box "place volume icon in the task bar" in the sounds and audio device properties in the control panel ?
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
rawana75
Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 9:50am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

To snakeyes: Thanks for help. But:
the icon for removing hardware (in this case all USB-accessories) has been showing over the last 3 years. Every time when I used an USB-Stick for example I had to click on it before removing the USB-stick, this being helpful against removing it to early. Now I can use the USB-stick without this warning. But I would strongly prefer the old procedure.
Secondly I have checked (and several times controlled) the box "place volume icon in the task bar". But always in vain.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Snakeyes
Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 3:49pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

Try the following steps: --.
1.Right-click my computer and then click manage.
2. Click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. In the services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service and then click on Properties.
5. On the General tab in the Startup Type drop-down list click Disabled.
6. Click OK
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
rawana75
Posted: January 24th, 2008, 11:07am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Hi snakeyes,
your proposal was successful, many thanks. In the meantime I had tried another solution by putting the command "c:\windows\system32\systray.exe" into the registry under the key "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run" and doing this have been successful too. But with your solution I can spare the additional process in Systemstart.
So this question can be closed down.
rawana75
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
rarrows
Posted: February 3rd, 2008, 8:46am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

Restoring the last good registry. Winrescue or regvac. Would probably be easier.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 6
rawana75
Posted: February 3rd, 2008, 9:24am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

That's right and good advice, but not very recommendable, if the last registry save was done before some new installations.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Windows  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules