IE 7 Programs Menu November 21st, 2014, 6:49pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Windows  ›  IE 7 Programs Menu

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    IE 7 Programs Menu
is224sac
Posted: January 22nd, 2008, 12:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Hi All,

Windows XP(Home)SP3

This is a dual question pertaining to the same area. I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere that changed the behavior of my Programs Menu. My Program Menu previously contained program specific icons to represent the individual programs (such as the blue & white icon that represents Word). Now, two thirds of the programs have the same generic icon to represent the individual programs listed in the menu. Anyone know of a way to convert those generic icons to the program specific icons to represent the individual programs listed in the Programs Menu. Question 2 - Previously when I 'Highlighted Programs' on the Start Menu, I received an initial 'Flyout' that listed the most recently accessed 4 or 5 programs from the Menu with a cravat at its bottom to display the entire Menu. Now, Highlighting Programs displays the entire Menu. Anyway to get the most recently accessed small listing back?

TIA
Logged Offline
A Revolutionary New Bible Version
is Coming

More Accurate than the KJV

Easier to Understand
than the Living Bible

The Bible for a New Generation
Go to - www.bible4ang.com - for more information.
Free Weekly Newsletter
Learn Tips about your Computer
from a Trusted, Knowledgeable Source

Subscribe to Ray's Computer Tips by entering your email address below and clicking on the button. We have a No Spam policy

This Forum brought to you by

Great Software
Forever Free Updates
Ray
Posted: January 22nd, 2008, 9:14pm Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

Have you tried going to Control Panel - Taskbar and Start Menu?  The Start Menu tab there allows you to choose between the Classic Start Menu and the new one.  There is also a Customize button which allows you to change many of the characteristics.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Snakeyes
Posted: January 23rd, 2008, 2:46pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

You could have a corrupted icon cache.  Microsoft's free download tweak UI has a simple repair feature.  You could also try booting into safe mode and then rebooting into normal mode, this sometimes works.  And lastly, you could delete the hidden file  "ShellIconCache" located in your Windows folder and then reboot.

To expand on Ray's suggestion, right click on the start menu and open the "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" and click on the customize button.  In the program's box you can choose the number programs that should show up in the start menu.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
is224sac
Posted: January 24th, 2008, 11:42pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I did finally work out a solution to my Icon problem, although it is a tedious solution that applies to the change of one icon at a time. First, locate an icon you wish to exchange with the "Generic" icon. This icon can be from anywhere, start menu sub-folder, desktop, etc. Right click the icon. Select Properties, Under the shortcut tab select "Change Icon". Control>C, copies the highlighted text. Click OK, and OK to close the dialog box. Then go to the Icon you wish to change, in my case on the start menu using the clasic view and right click that icon. Select Properties, Select Customize tab, then change icon, Hit delete to remove the highlighted text, Control V to replace the highlighted text, OK, OK, Apply, and last OK to close out every thing. The Icon is changed.

Im still fiddling around to get my short menu back.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Windows  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules