Ray, what do you use April 19th, 2018, 3:29pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Other Programs  ›  Ray, what do you use

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Ray, what do you use
Saint Satin Stain
Posted: February 10th, 2008, 10:56am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I asked once which programs you used. You replied that you were careful and did not use an antivirus etc. But which other programs, other categories, do you use or don't advise using. For instance, do you use an instant messenger, email client, browser, of course, and programming editors?

I am trying your way, without antivirus  or software firewall, but with one of my email addresses using Mozilla Thunderbird and using the Firefox browser on another computer. I will surf and email an hour each day with that system; it is on my broadband account. I do have these addons in Firefox: Cookie Safe, Cookie Culler, and Noscript. I have the Allow HTML Temp addon in Thunderbird.  The OS is a hardened XP Pro; you know, unneeded features and Services disabled. I'll report back occasionally what happens with my experiment. The system is behind a router. Should I do the experiment with it outside the router?
Logged Offline
Site YIM Windows Live Messenger
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: February 11th, 2008, 12:50am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

My uses may be a letdown, but I am a simple man.  If something works, I use it.  If I have a need for something, I usually end up writing a program to meet that need.

Instant Messengers - I have tried different instant messengers and they all seem to have similar features.  Yahoo Messenger is the most popular and is the one that I use.
   Email Clients - I use Outlook Express.
   Browsers - I use Internet Explorer 7
   Programming - I use Delphi 6

If others have other preferences feel free to post them here.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 3
Bob_Crawford
Posted: February 11th, 2008, 11:59am Report to Moderator
Guest User

PC World magazine recommended Avast as the best free antivirus program out there about 8 months ago.  I've been using it effectively ever since without problems on both XP and Vista computers.  It's available free for home use at:  http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html
e-mail Reply: 2 - 3
onemaddude
Posted: February 17th, 2008, 7:53pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

I've used  (Free for home use) AVG 7.5 for along while now and have had NO problems. It comes with a great firewall and other security features too.

onemaddude
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 3 - 3
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Other Programs  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules