Outlook Express evaporated October 21st, 2018, 10:33pm
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Other Programs  ›  Outlook Express evaporated

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    Outlook Express evaporated
Imager
Posted: June 28th, 2007, 12:09am Report to Moderator
Guest User

After reinstalling XP Pro to a new drive with numerous partitions, Outlook express will not open. While I admit that having the register install all programs into a partition called PROGRAMS may have had something to do with this sad performance, (since I didn't want MS stuff included under PROGRAMS in the first place [creating something in the order of a misnomer], during install I should have placed the OS to its 15G OS partition, then in WINDOWS disk manager partitioned the non-formated 185G remainder as desired, including the PROGRAMS partition. And THEN modified the register for installing programs into the PROGRAM partition, but I didn't.  )
Doing the above consumed all I know about computers {know meaning "facts" and they likely wern't}, I have been unable to kick-start Outlook Express.   It wants to find the "Message Store" and "msoe.dll", and probably more if I could give it those.

I don't really care where OExpress ends up, as long as it functions. Can anyone see a fix here short of another reinstall?
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

Ray
Posted: June 28th, 2007, 1:46am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I can't.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 6
Imager
Posted: June 28th, 2007, 9:41am Report to Moderator
Guest User

Were this a contest - who can say the least with the most words vs. the most with the least - would seem a tie. A contest it wasn't though, more akin to an attempt to demonstrate the presence of wisdom in the old saw, "'aint none of us as smart as all of us together."
Concerned that your responce of seeing no way for a simple-fix will intimidate lesser titled responders Ray, please enlarge from my original question with suggestions as to how I should approach acheiving that goal the next time around, i.e., my next reinstall. I appreciate that your reply may indeed be saying that my goal is not obtainable; forget the partitioning and stop asking for more of your time, but others have made very good contributions to your forum. Perhaps a few helpful words from you would keep the ball in the air by encouraging other inlput. Perhaps, after 69 years of persistence, I still live in a fools paradise.
Thank you.
Imager

PS: what is the little envelope icon on my first question that no one else seems to have? What have I forgot to do?
e-mail Reply: 2 - 6
Ray
Posted: June 29th, 2007, 5:36am Report to Moderator
Administrator Group

I was just saying that I could not see a fix short of another reinstall.  Maybe someone else does.  If so, I hope they will post their suggestion.
   On the next reinstall I would suggest to have one partition and install everything to it.
   I don't know what the envelope (I also don't see it) would be.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 3 - 6
Imager
Posted: July 1st, 2007, 5:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

Someone down the street suggested Outlook (and loaned me his 2002 copy).
In some ways better than Outlook Express, Outlook responded to the situation with enthusiasm.
Multiple partitions can be functional, useful and provide good security.
Cheers,
Imager
e-mail Reply: 4 - 6
onemaddude
Posted: July 2nd, 2007, 7:20pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member

You seem to have a need to over explain things and think everyone else should too. At 75, I thought Ray's answer was clear, concise. to the point and (while I am not an expert computer person) I understood the reply perfectly. If you knew more about the problem than people trying to help you, why bother asking in the first place?
Logged Offline
e-mail YIM Reply: 5 - 6
Imager
Posted: July 2nd, 2007, 10:37pm Report to Moderator
Guest User

"Onemaddude",

I do find a thorough answer helpful; need all the help I can get, and apparently respond similiarly. Reinstallation is a last resort. A second opinion is generally good practice.I had no answer on the go-in, or, as you point out, would not have asked. I was delighted to have found a probable answer after asking, and perhaps overenthusiastic in sharing it, as Ray had asked. I needed confirmation that there were no glitches in going to Outlook.

As a bonus, I was psychoanalyzed. Solving problem would seem to be why we come to Ray; his history of excellent solutions draw us out. It can be counterproductive to idolize ones' mentor. No one should be turned off from offering help, even help contrary to the opinion of ones' good friend, if they have any to offer. I've notice that regarding defensive skill, Ray is finely honed. Anger rarely leads to straight thinking. Some are best at standing guard, being sensitive to detecting offensiveness; ready to be "onemaddude", even at 75. Solving problems is productive and rare; creating them is neither.

Imager
e-mail Reply: 6 - 6
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Other Programs  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Forum Rules