How to display computer name on the desktop July 23rd, 2018, 9:31am
Home Calendar Search Register Login
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Computer Q&A Board    Answers    Other Programs  ›  How to display computer name on the desktop

Pages: 1
Recommend Print
  Author    How to display computer name on the desktop
Olives
Posted: April 18th, 2007, 10:39pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member

I have been trying to find an answer to this question for the past three days with no success.

I'm trying to find a way to display the computer name in the upper-right corner of the screen. I know this is possible because i've seen it done at my last job but everything was done in scripts so I'm not sure how they did it.

I have already seen the two alternatives of changing the My Computer reghack and the clock reghack and those are not what I want. I also don't want to create a wallpaper for each pc especially if the computer name changes.

The reason I want this is because at work we got a bunch of PC's (Over 50) that will be networked and it would be nice to identify the pc without having to display the System Properties on each PC. The Range of OS vary too from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2003. I have searched and searched the web and keep finding the same two reghacks and no answers to my question.

Please help me if you can
Logged Offline
A New Bible Built with Modern Technology

New Testament - Breakthrough Version

www.breakthroughversion.com

The Breakthrough Version achieves a much higher level of accuracy. It is:

• more literal
  • more precise
  • more contemporary
  • more correct
  • more consistent

This Bible even translates hundreds of forgotten Greek words that no other Bible does.

It is an essential tool for Bible teachers and students, yet it is easy to read, even for newbies.

dlwolff0
Posted: April 21st, 2007, 8:44pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

Take a look at this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310514/en-us

It might be a way to do what you want.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 1 - 5
Olives
Posted: April 22nd, 2007, 4:06am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

Doesn't look like "Distribute a Custom Desktop Theme to Users in Windows XP" is what i'm looking for.
Logged Offline
Reply: 2 - 5
ray2nite
Posted: April 22nd, 2007, 11:43am Report to Moderator
Guest User

This is not exactly what you want but it may serve the purpose. I found this somewhere and have never tired it, so I cannot vouch for whether it will work or not. Try at your won risk.

=============================================================
Show User and Computer Name on Desktop (Windows NT/2000/XP)

This tweak will rename "My Computer" to "Username on Computername" making it simple to determine which computer you are logged on to and which username you are logged on as.

Using REGEDT32.EXE (this is necessary for REG_EXPAND_SZ) open your registry and find the key in the settings section below. Then continue following the steps for your Windows version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For Windows NT
Delete the existing value called "No Name" and add a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value with an empty value name and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

For Windows 2000
Rename the value named "LocalizedString" to "LocalizedString.old". Create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and copy the contents of the original value to the new value except change the words "My Computer" to equal "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%". For example, the new "LocalizedString" value may equal "@C:\WINNT\system32\shell32.dll,-9216@1033,%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

For Windows XP or Internet Explorer 6.0+
Rename the value named "LocalizedString" to "LocalizedString.old". Create a new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "LocalizedString", and set the value to "%USERNAME% on %COMPUTERNAME%".

Exit the registry editor, click on your desktop and press F5 (for refresh). The "My Computer" icon should now be rename to "Username on Computername".

Note: Users of Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater should use the method for Windows XP.

=============================================================
e-mail Reply: 3 - 5
Olives
Posted: April 23rd, 2007, 1:05am Report to Moderator
Baby Member

That's not exactly what i'm looking for because most often you have to select the icon of the mycomputer to actually see the full computer name.

I've seen this tweak again and again when I was looking for what I wanted and it does work it's just not what I want.

Thanks for trying though.
Logged Offline
Reply: 4 - 5
dlwolff0
Posted: April 23rd, 2007, 7:00pm Report to Moderator
Big Member

Stumbled across what you are looking for.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6358_11-6147528.html

Seems that SysInternals [recently acquired by Microsoft ] has a utility that does what you are seeking. According to the article, you can download it from the Microsoft web site for free.
Logged Offline
e-mail Reply: 5 - 5
 Pages: 1
Recommend Print

Locked Board Board Index    Other Programs  [ previous | next ] Switch to:

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Forum Rules